StoreEver Tape Storage
1748223 Members
4696 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can not find drive error durring L&TT Scan

smagee

Can not find drive error durring L&TT Scan

I have a HP Superstore 2/20 with a single DLT8000 drive.

Using the L&TT tools when the application performs a scan I receive an error message stating that the "drive with my serial number could not be found".

Utilizing the front panel directly or via the L&TT I can load and unload tapes from slots into the drive.

Im running Windows 2003 current with service packs.

The Superstore 2/20 has 1 DLT8000 drive code rev: 59

Ultimately I will be using BackupExec 11d with this library.

Any suggestions on what I need to do in order to have the library, tools, and BackupExec see the drive?
5 REPLIES 5
ltt.team
Frequent Advisor

Re: Can not find drive error durring L&TT Scan

Hi,

It happens when LTT is unable to match the serial number received from the library to the drive. It also occurs when the drive is offline or in an erroneous state.

Check if the issue persists after power cycling the library and I presume that the operating system is seeing the DLT drive.

Regards,
Satya
LTT Team
smagee

I've power cycled the storage enclosure as well as removed and reseat the drive. Same error when LTT is scanning.

How should I verify that the OS is seeing the drive? ALso, the logs on the Superstore do not show any errors for the store or the drives.

Any suggestions?
ltt.team
Frequent Advisor

Can you attach the EventLog.ltt? By Windows seeing the drive, I was referring to the drive being listed in Device Manager.

Regards
Satya
PS: Log can be found in ..\...Tape Tools\logs folder.
smagee

Via device manager only the HP library auto loader is visible. I do not see the DTL8000 drive.

Are there drivers that need to be installed under Windows 2003?

Attached is the log file you asked for.
meloni
Honored Contributor

I cannot open the ticket you attached,but from what you wrote, it seems that the drive is not connected to the host.
The drive have internal communication with the library, so the library know there is a drive, and if you load a tape, the command to the drive for loading/unloading are sent via the library controller, and via internal communication, so all seems to be ok from the library perspective.
The problem is probably from the scsi side. The host can see the library controller, but cannot see the drive, so running LTT, the library answer that a drive is attached, but the drive do not appear on the scsi chain.

I would suggest you to double check the scsi cable, the scsi connector (check for bent/broken pin) until the drive appear during post, or in your Host Bus Adapter

(I suppose you are scsi connected, if you have FC connection, a message should appear in the Remote Management Interface indicating "A drive is not connected on the FC" that mean that the drive is communicating with the library via internal bus, but do not appear on the scsi channel)
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)