1748288 Members
3521 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't LTO drives from rp7400

Raul_7
Occasional Advisor

Can't LTO drives from rp7400

We have the HP SureStore 10/180 config with 4 drives and 180 slots. We have 3 hp boxes connected to 1 brocade switch. 2 of my servers can see the drives and are configured to work. My third server can't see any of the tape drives but the local tape drive. I'm doing an ioscan -fnC tape and only one tape shows up none LTO. I've alse executed an insf -e to update. but nothing changes.
Good things come to those who wait, "let the backups finish"
11 REPLIES 11
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you have a connectivity problem. Here's an easy way to check - take the cable from the non-working system and remove it from the FC card, and swap it with one of the servers that work. (Don't move it from the switch) If the problem follows the cable, then check you zoning on the switches. If it doesn't move (ie: the server still doesn't see any tape drives), then check into the UNIX config - perhaps the drivers are not installed correctly \, or the FC card is bad.

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Raul_7
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Vincent,

I can login to the Brocade switch and see the server with the problem. I'm asuming that the hardware connection its ok.

-Are you using zoning on the switch?

-Are all the cards showing as logged in?

fcmsutil /dev/tdX

Where /dev/tdX is the device file for your FC card

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Does the output of ioscan show the drives
or hardware path of your FC card?
If not you then you need to check that the
zoning of your switch has been correctly
set. If it hasn't you won't see anything.
It is good that you can see the server from
the switch, but your port must also be
allowed to see your tape library.

Cheers
~Michael~
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Raul_7
Occasional Advisor

Here is the output of the FC command

Vendor ID is = 0x00103c
Device ID is = 0x001028
TL Chip Revision No is = 2.3
PCI Sub-system Vendor ID is = 0x00103c
PCI Sub-system ID is = 0x000006
Topology = PTTOPT_FABRIC
Local N_Port_id is = 0x011000
N_Port Node World Wide Name = 0x50060b00000784e3
N_Port Port World Wide Name = 0x50060b00000784e2
Driver state = ONLINE
Hardware Path is = 1/10/0/0
Number of Assisted IOs = 0
Number of Active Login Sessions = 0

We can rule out a zoning mismatch if zoning is not enabled. Check to see if
zoning is enabled by issuing the cfgshow command on the brocade switch. If the output states that no configuration is in effect, zoning is not enabled.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Breider
Occasional Advisor

Raul,
Do the hosts that cannot see the drives have the latest FC and tape drivers/patches installed? Can they see any devices on FC? Maybe as a test, you could eliminate the switch and cable from the host to the library and run an ioscan...

-Barry
Raul_7
Occasional Advisor

We don't have Zoning turned on. The server has a total of 5 FC cards. Four are configured for the XP512 and 1 is configured for the tape library. We have a total of 3 16 port 2800 switches. Two are for the SAN and One for the library. I was able to see all four LTO drives at one time after a boot with a N/H, now I don't see them at all. I'm typing ioscan -fnC tape and all I get is the local DDS4 tape drive. HP is thinking on replacing the FC card. I also tryed to moved the FC cable to another port on the switch, no change. I also reboot the server after every change.
Fernando_97

Hi Raul,

Try the following:
identify the FC card thatis used to access the library (with ioscan -fnC fc) and look for the FC card device file (like /dev/td0, /dev/td1...)

Use the following command to identify the N-Port ID of the card: (you need the device file, for example /dev/td0)
fcmsutil /dev/td0 devstat all | grep Loop

and take note of the hexadecimal value shown (for example 0x0000d3)

now use the following command to say to the system that it has to accept what it will find attached to the card: (for example...)

fcmsutil /dev/td0 replace_dsk 0x0000d3

if you have more than one FC card with this problem, then repeat this procedure for each one.

Good look.