StoreEver Tape Storage
1748136 Members
3650 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't Run a cleaning on SureStore DAT24x6

Tom_230

Can't Run a cleaning on SureStore DAT24x6

Try cleaning drive. Ends in "Failure" Message in log of Backup Exec states "Unable to acquire Media. The media this operation is trying to use cannot be found. Please make sure that one slot in the robotic library is marked as a cleaning slot in Backup Exec and contains a cleaning media." Slot 6 is marked as cleaning. I tried emptying all cartridges out and putting cleaning cartridge in slot one (Marked through Backup Exec). Run inventory all slots are recognised.

Downloaded and installed "HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools". Here is the results of the diagnostics on the autoloader and the drive. The over the web support is not an option for the drive is on a closed network.

Analysis Results
Device Analysis for DDS Autoloaders
Product ID is 'C1557A'
Firmware rev 'U812' is up-to-date for 'C1557A'.
Tapes may be sticking inside the magazine, check for labels peeling off tapes and clean the magazine slots.
Autoloader Magazine Carousel is not fully rotating, check that all the tapes are fully inside the magazine if this is an internally mounted autoloader...
...check nothing is resting on the top of the mechanism preventing carousel rotation.
Last fault code = 20

Device Analysis for DDS Drives
Product ID is 'C1557A'
Please update the firmware in your drive with the latest version
Please insert a cleaning cartridge 5 times in a row to ensure that the drive heads are clean
If your drive is still failing, please re-run device analysis
If your drive is still failing, please re-run device analysis

I updated or, what I think, reinstalled the existing firmware to C1557A, Rev U812 12/15/1998

Tried a cleaning - no good.
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

What O/S? HP-UX?

ioscan -fnkC tape (* note status *)

Insert tape manually.

mt -t /dev/rmt/0m status

Check for tape errors in STM/Logtool
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Tom_230

I forgot to mention O/S = Windows NT 4.00.1381 (Server Edition) acting as a BDC.

Backup Exec Version 8.60 Revision 3878
LT_3

I have the same exact problem. I'm running W2K Server w/ Sp3. I tried everything that was mentioned here and from the KB at Veritas - still no good. Any ideas? Though I was able to manually mount and run the cleaning tape.

LT_3

Try updating your tape device to the most recent driver...pull it down from Veritas under the version of your BackupExec and OS. Good luck.
LT_3

Try updating your tape device to the most recent driver...pull it down from Veritas under the version of your BackupExec and OS. Good luck.
LT_3

Tom, try updating your tape device to the most recent driver from Veritas. It worked for me. Good luck.