StoreEver Tape Storage
1753477 Members
4572 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can't clean StorageWorks DAT 40x6

Andrew D. Hall

Can't clean StorageWorks DAT 40x6

The server I administer has an external StorageWorks DAT 40x6 SCSI tape library. I am running backups from Veritas Backup Exec Ver. 9.1. When I start a cleaning job, the tape drive loads the cleaning cartridge from slot 6 and seems to begin the job normally. However, at about 20% completion (about 50 seconds into the job), Backup Exec reports an error, the cleaning job fails, and the cleaning tape is returned to the magazine. In the Backup Exec job log it says "Final error a0008221 - Library error - the magazine is missing or not properly installed".

Please note that the tape backup jobs are running wihout errors. Also note that I have tried a new (never used) tape magazine and tapes and got the same error. Also note that I only recently began administering this system and have never successfully run a cleaning job on this device.

I have contacted Veritas about this and they say it must be a problem with the tape drive.

Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: Can't clean StorageWorks DAT 40x6

Hi,

Have you tried chaning the cleaning cartridge? The cleaning cartridge may be expired.

Do you see any error on LCD display when this happens? What you see the drive status ( physical LEDs and in the backup s/w)
Did you try manual cleaning menthod?

When it happens , you can LTT and collect the support ticket. You can run drive test to make sure it is OK.
Refer following doc

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=42856&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=42856&objectID=c00048372#clean
Andrew D. Hall

Thanks for the link. I didn't know there was a diagnostic application for this device. The diagnostic told me that the firmware was out of date. I installed the latest firmware in the tape drive and now it is working properly.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am glad you could get a pointer to resolve the issue.

I guess you are a new ITRC member.
Welcome to ITRC Forum!!!!

I hope you have read about how the ITRC forum works. Being a new member, you should know the spirit of ITRC forums.
Read the guidelines at
http://forums.itrc.hp.com
and FAQ at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

The cleaning process on a dds tape drive is made automaticaly by the drive, as soon as the cleaning tape is loaded (and recognized by the drive with the dipswitches probing the wholes on the cartridge (MRS media recognition system))
after a certain amount of time, the cartridge is unloaded automaticaly and then send back to home position.

I do not know how Bexec manage to do the cleaning of this device, but if he try to controll the device during the cleaning cycle it will end up with an error.

I would suggest to ask this to Veritas support

marino