6116 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can't insert tape into my HP surestore dat 24 tape drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michal Szkopek

Can't insert tape into my HP surestore dat 24 tape drive

When I was amking last night backup on Netware 4.11) something gone wrong. The SBACKUP have returned the following error:
"5-18-06 1:47:50am (SBACKUP-4.20 -110) An error occurred during SBACKUP's attempt to write to media: (SMSDI v.1.0 305) The device driver or device itself returned an error."

After this I've tried to eject the tape, but no succes, the green light were flashing for 2 hours so I've pushed the eject buttom for few seconds and the tape go out. Now I can't insert the new tape, something has locked. I've restarted the server and the orange light(clean) still lighting.

Does my tape drive is dameged? Maybe screwdriver will help? Did anybody had similar problem?
3 REPLIES 3
divakar.k
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Can't insert tape into my HP surestore dat 24 tape drive

There is a possibility that the tape drive mechanism insn't working properly

Try to Unplug the powersource to the tape drive and plug it back.Because the inventory start again it could help.

The tape ejected is it in Good shape, do u know whether tape is cut or something

If after doing this it is not working then propably u might have to open the drive and clean the debris

Do remember to use cleaning catridge before putting the tape

meloni
Honored Contributor

yep, just a reboot is not enouth some time to reinizalize a drive, because the server do not cup power to the drive.
Previous suggestion will allow the tape to got through the inizial selftest, then if it pass, you will be able to use it again, if it fail, you will get the red led
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Michal Szkopek

Thanks for help, I finaly have got a chance to restar the server, and everything have back to normal.

The tape casette wasn't damaged, only tape drive were blocked.

What I'll do if the tape drive were damaged, how could I restrore the data from tapes 12/24GB 4mm. Is possible to buy such drive today? Maybe, but it has to be expensive.

Thanks anyway everybody for help.