1748041 Members
5016 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can there be problems moving to a new tape drive

QuiteQ
Occasional Visitor

Can there be problems moving to a new tape drive

An older IT professional once told me that, back in his early days, you could run into problems transitioning to a new tape drive, even if the new drive was the same make and model as before, due to slight variances in alignment and how they wrote to tape. Your tapes could become unreadable with the new device. I imagine equipment has improved greatly since then, but can anyone tell me if modern HPE drives can run into this problem? I have a drive that reads LTO-6 Ultrium tapes.

2 REPLIES 2
QuiteQ
Occasional Visitor

Re: Can there be problems moving to a new tape drive

Just to clarify, I am only concerned with a potential problems transitioning to a new device that is the same model as before. 

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Re: Can there be problems moving to a new tape drive

The drive to drive interop issues have largely been resolved.  LTO uses servo tracks written on the tape and dynamic tracking in the drive so that the head/track alignment is constantly monitored and maintained.  When the track alignment relied entirely on the mechanical head/tape alignment of the writing drive there were a lot more problems like that.  The LTO Consortium has interop requirements for logo certification.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo