StoreEver Tape Storage
1752806 Members
6686 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can two master servers control one tape library?

Pavel Hampl
Occasional Advisor

Can two master servers control one tape library?

Hi admins,

Can we effectively control two master servers (Veritas NetBackup) operation of one tape library (HP Sure Store 20/700) in the FC SAN?
I our configuration we have 4 drives inside controlled by 2 FC-SCSI bridges. But only on the first bridge is a robot control device, which is used by the first master server (Win) and which uses first 2 drives.
May I use the same control device with another master server (HP-UX) and use third and fourth drive?

Thanks in advance,
Pavel
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

I believe you can, if you can zone the drives. What kind of SAN ??

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Frank Skibbe
Advisor

Hi Pavel,

the timing between NT and UNIX is different that could be case some problems. Is this a bridge which could be split in two spared FC pathes the SCSI Interfaces than you have no problem.

The best way try the config and the backup.
and see the errlog on the switch and on the system and verify the backup.
Pavel Hampl
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

our SAN is switched fabric and we use zoning.

I can imagine, that two master servers can control one tape library through one robot control device, but can they operate with separates tapes to do not over write tapes which were written by another master server?

Is there probably any header on the each tape, where is possible to recognize, which master server uses this tape. (I am not too familiar with Veritas Netbackup software)

Pavel
Bruno Cunha
Frequent Advisor

Hi, with Netbackup you can only have one machine that controls the library. But you can zone the first two drives to a machine and the other two to another and tell the other machine that the robotic control is in the other master.

Hope this helps
Do it today, don't leave for tomorrow