StoreEver Tape Storage
1753666 Members
6104 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Cannot run HP Library and Tape Tools on NW65SP3

Allen Derusha_1

Cannot run HP Library and Tape Tools on NW65SP3

I have an HP ProLiant ML370 G4 server running NetWare 6.5 SBS patched at SP3. I've also applied TSAUPD18. The server is running BackupExec NetWare 9.1.1156.0. I've executed a BESTOP to unload all BE modules. I've applied HP's ProLiant Support Pack for NetWare version 7.20. In short, everything is as up-to-date as I can manage.

I'm having troubles with a tape device (HP Ultrium 215 internal) issuing occasional SCSI errors during backups. To troubleshoot the physical drive, I've downloaded HP's Library and Tape Tools (LTT) version 3.5 SR 3 (hp_ltt35sr3_nw.zip). Unzipping this yields a folder "hp_ltt" with the appropriate NLMs. The instructions indicate that this folder should reside under SYS:SYSTEM. At the server console, if I enter "LOAD SYS:SYSTEM\HP_LTT\HP_LTT.NLM", I get an [OK] but no other results. The logger screen displays the following:

Loading module HP_LTT.NLM
HP Library & Tape Tools for NetWare
Version 3.01.01 June 28, 2005
(C) 2000-2002 Hewlett-Packard Company
Module HP_LTT.NLM load status OK

However, nothing actually happens. A "MODULES HP*" yields no modules loaded afterwards. If I move the folder to some other location (say, SYS:HP_LTT), I recieve an error indicating that the files should be in SYS:SYSTEM\HP_LTT as follows:

Setup Error:
One of the catalogs needed for operation cannot be found.
This error is typically caused by incorrect installation.

Please review the installation instructions that came with this bundle.
The installation directory MUST be SYS:System\HP_LTT

Press any key to exit.

If I place the HP_LTT folder in both locations, then run a "LOAD SYS:HP_LTT\HP_LTT.NLM", I once again see nothing. It appears to load, but unloads again immediately. The only other version of the LTT I could find on the net is hp_ltt35sr2_nw.zip which behaves in the same manner. Anybody ever seen this?

1 REPLY 1
James McMillan_4
Occasional Advisor

Re: Cannot run HP Library and Tape Tools on NW65SP3

We are having no end of problems with ML370 G4's and SCSI issues during backups..

We have 4 of them, all the same hardware, all the latest firmware, the latest PSP's, NetWare 6.5 patched to the hilt, latest BackupExec..

After a LOT of troubleshooting, HP are saying that it isn't supported without an additional SCSI card, ie you can't have it on the on-board controllers. We are contesting this as we have 2 servers which work perfectly, and 2 that don't. We even took the drives from the non-working server, put them in the 'working' server - the backup worked perfectly, proving that it isn't an O/S build or driver issue..

Anyone else have anything on this?