cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Frequency

Jon Lyons
Occasional Visitor

Cleaning Frequency

Hello, I've had several different answers to this question and am expecting a few more!! How often should I clean a DLT (20/40) Drive? I am having serveral faults, but mainly bad or unrecognised media. Kindest Regards. Jon
3 REPLIES
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning Frequency

Hello,

Basically the best solution is to clean the drive only when the actual drive requests so. Cleaning it too much leads to faster wear of the head.

Cleaning frequency is directly proportional to drive usage.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Jon Lyons
Occasional Visitor

Cheers for that but these servers are not monitored and I wanted to know if there was a recommended frequency for cleaning the device so that I can advised the sites when to clean them. Cheers Jon
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The correct answer is no more than necessary; the cleaning cartridge media is by definition abrasive. Your users should be instructed to wait until the 'Use Cleaning Tape' indicator is illuminated. Most libraries will automatically insert the cleaning media as needed and they wait until the request is actually made by the drive rather than doing it by some fixed number of hours or passes.

After using brand-new tapes, it is not uncommon for the drive to require cleaning but if you are using media that is in reasonably good condition (and for DLT's that's a very long time), you should see very, very few media errors. When you start seeing errors and the 'Use Cleaning Tape' indicator is off, it generally means that it is drive replacement time.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.