how do i use a cleaning tape?
why do i must use it?
how often i must use it?

Thanks!! Manuales.
10 REPLIES 10
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Cleaning tape

You use it by inserting it into the drive. The drive automatically operates the tape. The drive also tells you when it needs cleaning by flashing the "clean" light.

Pete

Pete
Helen French
Honored Contributor

If you just have one tape drive (not a Library), just insert your cleaning tape and the tape will clean by itself. It should eject the tape after the cleaning. If you have a Tape Library, using your backup software allocate one slot for "Cleaning Slot" and then do a cleaning through the backup software. You can also do this manually with Library control menu by mounting the cleaning media to the specified drive.

It's a good practice to clean the drive to keep it in a good shape, in other words you are doing a preventive maintenance.

How often you do this depend on how busy your tape drive is. A normal practice would be to clean it once in a month.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

Cleaning tapes are inserted into the tape drive, the tape drive recognizes them and runs them against the tape heads to clean out any residue from other tapes. The tapes are then usually automatically ejected.

How often depends. If you do a full backup once a week, then cleaning the drive just prior would be a good idea.

HTH

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It depends somewhat upon the kind of tape drive --- that you forgot to mention. In most cases, because the cleaning tapes/cartridges are abrasive, it's actually best to wait until the "Clean" LED is illuminated. That is certainly true for DLT and DDS drives. Most libraries will automatically sense the cleaning bit and automatically clean the drive as required.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Manuales
Super Advisor

thanks !!!

where do i buy a cleanning tape?
and .
what is a cleanning tape?
isn't undertood for me ..

tbanks, Manuales
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

First, what KIND of drive do you have? Some kinds of tape drives must be manually cleaned with a cleaning solution and swabs. Others like DLT and DDS/DAT use cleaning tapes that are loaded just like normal media and eject themselves when finished. You can purchase these wherever you get you normal tapes.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

May be you should mention what type of drive you have. You can buy these online by googling. Something useful here:

http://downloads.quantum.com/sdlt320/DLTtapeCleaningDS.pdf
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

As A.Clay mentioned, cleaning and cleaning cycles are totally dependent upon the drive type.
Our Backup Software vendor recommended a particular interval for our DLT drives, while HP totally contradicted the recommendation.
Thus, you might be better served by referring to the drive vendor for appropriate intervals, cleaning tape types, and procedures.

Best regards,

-dl
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
Dexter Filmore
Honored Contributor

A cleaning tape is a tape used to clean the inside of the tape drive. If the tape drive is not clean, it can affect backups and reduce the life of the drive.