StoreEver Tape Storage
1752618 Members
4404 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Colorado 5GB on W2K Server

BR692573

Colorado 5GB on W2K Server

I use a Colorado 5GB on Windows 2000 server, running Windows Backup, as there is no Colorado Backup for Win2k Server. The problem with Windows Backup is that it does not compress much and I hardly get 2.6GB backed up. Does the solution lie in running the backup from one of the clients on Win 2000 or Win 98 and backing up the server on the network?
He who does not believe in miracles, is not a realist
5 REPLIES 5
CA788473
Occasional Advisor

Re: Colorado 5GB on W2K Server

Thys:
One reason you may not see much compression is that your file types don't lend themselves to compression because they are already compact, by their very nature, ie., .jpg, etc.. In my case, the average compression ratio changes throughout the backup process depending on the folder that is being backed up, and usually ends up low overall. (I back up a win 2000 advanced server system as well as several workstations)

I've also found that some backup software is better than others both in operation and compression. In particular, Stomp's Backup MyPC seems to work very well for me, much better than the included windows backup software, and far better than anything Colorado ever included with their drives.

Hope this helps some.

Tom

BR692573

Thanks Thomas. I had a look at their website, but it appears that it does not run on Win 2000 server either.

I was quite happy when using Colorado Backup when I still had win 2000 (and before that W98) before upgrading to Win 2000 Server. It compressed the same files up to 45%, while on Windows backup I hardly get any compression.

What do you think will be the drawbacks if I install the tape drive (and colorado backup)on one of the clients running on windows 2000 and backup over the network?
CA788473
Occasional Advisor

Thys:
In fact BackupMyPC won't install on 2000 Server. What you suggested is what I actually do, ie., backup other machines remotely including the server. My point was that the compression ratio does not seem to be unusually low. I experienced a ratio of 1.74 to 1 just recently while backing up a wide variety of folders on one of my machines.

I don't mean to sound to negative on Colorado software. I used it for quite awhile and it did seem to work overall. My situation was that I usually experienced problems at the worst times. The software would hang or lock up during a scheduled backup, or if you did need to recover some data it would not work properly, etc. With my current setup I've experienced almost flawless operation. Added to that is that I recently upgraded the 5 gig drive to an 8 gig drive. It worked without a hitch. Good luck.

Tom
BR692573

Tnaks Tom. Point taken. So I will probably have do decide whether to spend a lot of (SA) money buying new software or take the risk with Colorado Backup 9.0. Fact is, I can't stay with Microsoft Backup.

Thanks again
Thys
Anderson_2

Good, I am Brazilian, forgive for my English, but it would like to know if Colorado 5GB functions normally, or either without problems in the Windows 2000 Server, and if it would have some problem in using Colorado 5GB with ARCServer Software. If the same wheel in the Win2K where I can catch the Drivers for obliged Win2K