5276 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Colorado 5gb drive on XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Terry Wade

Colorado 5gb drive on XP

I have A Colorado 5gb e drive, and I have XP Pro as my o/s. I have down loaded and installed the new epatap2k drivers from SCM. My computer shows that it is on in Device Manager, and in properties is shows that it is working OK.
But when I go into XP Backup program I cannot find my Colorado 5gb drive to select it for my backup. Please can any one help me; there must be samthink that I am missing.
18 REPLIES 18
CA782293

I have the same problem. Only I'm moving from a computer that had W95 to a computer with W98. I've been to the download section and got all the files listed for w98 and tried them all. Still the same problem.
CA756694
Honored Contributor

5Gb doesn't work in the 98 Backup Application:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg11232.html

I don't believe the 5Gb works in the backup application on Xp either.

The only solution might be to get some low end software:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg10065.html

cheers

John

Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Sel
Occasional Advisor

I have tried that all ready. Doesn't work. The new epatap2k drivers from SCM do not work. I have brought the Veritas Backup MyPC software as recommended by HP and although the drive appears in Device Manager it only appears as " in the device list within the Backup Software & you can't read/write to it. If HP recommends buying this new Software, you would have thought that they would test to see if they can get the drive to work. As I cant. I am still scratching my head on this one. Any ideas anyone? Anyone? :) p.sI have the ext 5Gb colorado.
CA756694
Honored Contributor

We are looking into this issue where VERITAS's software struggles with XP and SCM's drivers.

When there is some progress, I'll try to get a message up on this forum as well on the main website.

I am afraid it's all down to everything belonging to different companies (HP, VERITAS, Microsoft and SCM) and all of us issuing our solutions at different times, which means that earlier releases don't include/test with later ones !

It's no excuse but there you go.

cheers,

John
bollen
Frequent Advisor

Some weeks ago I posted a message about a Colorado 8GBi not working with XP. It too shows up in Device Management and it even shows up in Veritas Backup MyPC (4.71) as it does in NT Backup and in Removable Storage Management. However it is impossible to make a backup as none the software detects a tape in the drive. I have tried it with a W2kPro system and there the unit runs fine. But on XP it doesn't, not on Home nor or Pro not on Dutch nor on US. Not on a Sky nor on a Compaq PC. I have called HP support in the Netherlands and they refused to give any support as the drive was released "long before Windows XP was available", although the HP website states that it should work with XP out-of-the-box and it is on the XP HCL.
Is this about the same story as with the support for HP OfficeJet G-series?
CA756694
Honored Contributor

I can't comment on the Officejet but with regard to external colorado drives, Backup My PC, windows XP and the SCM drivers we will be running some tests and hopefully either solving the problem or documenting it.

cheers

John

CA782293

It looks like the moral of this story is, If your system is working fine, DO NOT upgrade your operating system.
Your tape drive, printer, or scanner might not work.

I NEED the data stored on those tapes. I haven't backup up new data still April 2nd.

I have not yet told my boss that the hardware, I advised him to buy, now seems to be worthless. I'm not looking forward to that conversation.

Especially when the tape drive looks new, and if there's a tape in the tape drive when I boot up W98 the tape drive spin just look it did when it was positioning itself for backup in W95.

I can only hope that soon, someone will have an answer.
CA756694
Honored Contributor
Solution

I am afraid that the sad fact is that the speed with which computer technology changes means that frequently we are all faced with problems of backwards compatibility.
In HP, we do try our hardest to support customers with older hardware but we don't have the monopoly on the entire solution.

I can help you with some software that will support your product in Win98.
It's the very least that I can do, although it won't recover your data made in the backup application on Win95.
If you post your email address, then I will contact you directly.

cheers

John

Darryle Wheatcroft
Frequent Advisor

Hi John:

Any results yet re tests on the SCM driver, Backupmypc, and Windows XP for the 5GBe and 8GBe tape drives? There seem to be a lot us in the barrel here either having upgraded to XP or bought Pavilion laptops with XP preloaded and the last thing we expected was to have a non functional back up tape drive as the result.

Thanks

Darryle