1751979 Members
4697 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Colorado BK II 5gb

Brannon Clark

Colorado BK II 5gb

I'm running Win98se and Colorado BK II. This unit is a Premio computer PII with a 5gb internal tape drive. The system has a clean load of windows with drivers and BK II. The unit says it will take two days to backup 4gb of data. It didn't use to take that long with an old drive before it went bad. The old drive was the same type was on a Win95 Deskpro with P133. Any ideas would be helpful.
4 REPLIES 4
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: Colorado BK II 5gb

What type of controller do you have the Colorado 5GB internal tape drive connected to?
Are there any other devices on this same controller?
Are you able to attach any other device, such as a hard drive, and test the connection?
Check the cable being used to connect the tape drive. Check carefully for any bent pins, and reseat the cable at both ends.
Can you try this Colorado 5 GB tape drive on any other system (for testing)?
Brannon Clark

The tape drive is connected to an on-board IDE controller
VIA chipset.
The other device on the channel is a CD-ROM. The CD is set as master and tape as slave. I have tried it with and without the CD. Setting the jumpers accordingly. Still the results are the same. Other devices have no problem on this controller.
The was tested in a computer here at the shop and it work fine. But still after a clean load of Windows on the current machine it is working very slow. Thanks for the response.
Jeff XSi
Frequent Advisor

You could try an alternative backup s/ware to compare the backup speeds? Try going to www.orlogix.com and dl the 30 day evaluation version of Backup My PC ( BUMP ). It's a similar interface to CB2 and as far as I'm aware is compatible with CB2 backed up media

Thanks
jeff
Jeff XSi
Frequent Advisor

What this usually comes down to is the following -

- competition of resources with lots of other programs running in the background using up the CPU. Are there many progs open or running in the background?

- Network backups are affected by the traffic on the network and again the CPU usage of the server and the client involved..

Is it poss to schedule a backup for night time where,presumably, there would be less users / programs running?

just a thought

jeff