StoreEver Tape Storage
1748170 Members
4157 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Colorado Backup II Version 8 and Version 9.1 compatibility?

Joan Edington

Colorado Backup II Version 8 and Version 9.1 compatibility?

Hi,

I've been running Colorado Backup II version 8 on my Windows 98 desktop for some years with no problems, using a Colorado 14GB external drive.

Recently I was given a Windows 2000 Pro laptop by my company so, needing to swap data between the 2 machines, I purchased a copy of Version 9.1 for use on the laptop.

Things are OK when I backup up in V8 and restore on V9.1 but when I try it the other way around all the files lose recognition of their Windows names and appear as DOS file names, i.e. FileNa~1.

Both versions backup and restore to their own machines perfectly.

Is there some setting that I have missed or are the two versions incompatible?

I hope there is some way round this since shuttling data between my work and home PCs is just as important to me as the actual backing up of my systems.

Hopefully,

Joan Edington
What did I do with those minutes??
11 REPLIES 11

Hi Joan, I am sorry I cannot answer your question. However, I am desperately trying to locate a copy of CBII 9.1. Do you knw how/where I can get a copy. HP no longer provides it period (on its web sites or via their support lines). Anything you could do to help would be greately appreciated.
Joan Edington

Hi There,

That was some surprise this morning, the notification of a reply to my problem. I'd given up hope long ago.

I notice from your profile that you just joined the forums yesterday. You must have drawn the short straw of trying to fix everything that nobody else could. Welcome!

As for the Colorado II 9.1 software, I purchased it directly from HP and don't know of anyone else who sells it. However, since you work for HP (I presume) surely I wouldn't be breaking copyright/license agreements if I was to send you a copy of my CD.

If you really are trying to fix this irritating problem of mine it will be well worth the postage to send it over if you give me the address.

Hopefully, with regards,

Joan

Jeff Technician 7
Frequent Advisor

Hi Joan, I hope I have read your query properly..

CB2 8 is not forward compatible in that it cannot read data backed up in 9.1 .

CB2 9.1 is fine however in restoring data backed up by any previous addition of CB2.

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Technician 7
Frequent Advisor

Hi Joan

Just to add to the above, you can give us a call in the UK on 0207 5125202 and any of the agents here will be able to help you.

Thanks

Jeff
Joan Edington

Jeff,

I attempted to call you this morning but was told that I would have to pay for the priviledge and was diverted by your receptionist to the US support web site (where I started from last summer).

I didn't really want to broadcast my solution on a public forum, but have no choice.

I have installed Version 9.1 on my old PC and everything is working fine, although I expect that I am breaking some license agreement by running the same copy on 2 machines.

However, I do not feel too guilty because:-

1) I did in fact purchase 2 copies of Backup for 2 machines, albeit different versions.

2) There is absolutely no difference in functionality between the 2 versions, only the Windows drivers.

3) Most companies will provide driver upgrades free of charge as downloads on a web site, rather than expect the purchaser of a piece of hardware having to pay full price for new, but identical software.

Thanks for actually responding though, even if 5 months after the problem was logged.

Regards,

Joan

Hi Joan,

I'm glad my reply stimulated interest in your request again. Please e-mail me at pjvinco@earthlink.net and I will send my address. I am in Loveland, Colorado.

Peter
Karlo Vartan

Hi Joan,
Do you have the 9.1 vesion? If you do, can I get a copy of it. I am willing to pay for it. I have window ME, and I can not make my Colorado 14 to work with it. I was told 9.1 is the one. I would realy appreciate this.

Thank you
Karlo Vartan
Joan Edington

Karlo,

Please would you give me your e-mail and/or land-lubbers address and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

Joan
Karlo Vartan_1

Hi Joan,

Sorry, I was out of the town. Here is my email address:

kvartan@kvconsultgroup.com

Thanks a million