StoreEver Tape Storage
1753719 Members
4712 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Colorado tape Backup (8gig)

CA765965

Colorado tape Backup (8gig)

Upgaded my 5gig to and 8 and have use both size tapes for backup. All I get now in using it is the error message,
Backup device reported an unrecoverable hardware error. Please incert another media to continue. I have tried three different tape with the same results. Using backup (2) version 9.1 software.
3 REPLIES 3
CA756694
Honored Contributor

Re: Colorado tape Backup (8gig)

Did you 'upgrade' with one of the kits that we used to sell, via firmware or by getting a 8Gb in exchange ?

Did the problem come about as a result of the upgrade and does it occur when you backup up?

I'll be honest, this sort of error usually means an exchange although you could try all the usual troubleshooting steps before you pick up the phone and call HP.

* Upgrade to 2.08 firmware (I imagine you already have it)

* Retension all the tapes

* clear the sensor

cheers

John

Upgaded my 5gig to and 8 and have use both size tapes for backup. All I get now in using it is the error message,
Backup device reported an unrecoverable hardware error. Please incert another media to continue. I have tried three different tape with the same results. Using backup (2) version 9.1 software.

Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
RD McClary

Out of curiosity, what exactly is "firmware"? Is it a (disk-based) SW driver, or does upgrading change an EPROM on the drive's circuit board?

I ask because if it's the former, upgrading with the DOS FW will do my linux system little good. TIA!
CA756694
Honored Contributor

It's a DOS based utility unfortunately.

You could always use a single floppy with the basic dos commands, boot up using that and then run the utility ?

As you have have probably already guessed, Linux is not one of the supported platforms with these kind of products.

John
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines