1753808 Members
8327 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq 35/70 DLT

Mark Michniewicz

Compaq 35/70 DLT

The 35/70 dlt drive I have reads tapes (dlt IV) written on a Compaq 20/40 dlt just fine and will write to those tapes with out a problem. When I put a new dlt IV tape in, the cleaning light comes on and seems to have trouble calibrating (head bottoming out and buzzing). I have tried several new tapes with the same result. When I put a 20/40 tape back in the cleaning light goes out and the drive properly displays the tape as a 20GB with compression. I have tried cleaning the drive with a new cleaning tape but still the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq 35/70 DLT

Mark, even new media can be bad. And even whole pack of media if there was a problem on the production line on the factory. So please try media from another 'pack' of tapes (better HP tapes).
You can install HP LTT and check drive, generate support ticket, look at it. If you wish you can attach support ticket to your next reply
Eugeny
Christopher Rupnik
Valued Contributor

Re: Compaq 35/70 DLT

Hi
I have noticed that my HP DLT4000D is quite picky about DLT tape vendors. When I use a generic DLT IV tape (compactape IV) , I get the exact same scenario as you do; cleaning light coming on and buzzing. Even after cleaning tape drive that does not help. HP media (I know that sounds fishy) works always without any problems.
Good Luck