StoreEver Tape Storage
1753774 Members
7135 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq DAT 12/24 DDS3

CA1315457

Compaq DAT 12/24 DDS3

We are using this tape drive to back up our exchange database and exchange document level. The problem is we are just a touch over 12 GB of data and it now asks for a second tape. We use Brightstore Arcserve 11.1 W exchange agent. When I try to set Hardware compression it does not work, still asks for another tape. I have tried software compression and again compression does not work and asks for a scond tape. Is their a compaq utility or software that I can use to enable compression that works?
5 REPLIES 5
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq DAT 12/24 DDS3

James, Hardware compression is enabled by default on this drive therefore you should not use software compression. If your data is already compressed the backup cannot compress it more. Here is a link to our Library and taptools diagnostic to test your drive to make sure compression is working properly. I have also included a link to give you a better understanding of compression related issues.
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1315457

Thanks for your reply, I realize hardware compression is disabled by default but when it hit the 12 GB in data to back up it automatically asked for another tape. I disabled the hardware compression and tried software compression and still the same thing happens. I will read through the links...thanks....I also tried using the HP tool to update firmware but it gave me an error message when I tried applying it.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

James, I think you misunderstood my answer. Hard compression is enabled by default on the drive itself
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1315457

hehe no sorry, I just mis-typed, I meant to say I understood it was enabled by default.
CA1315457

I had a arcserve service still accessing drive, I disabled it and applied firmware succesfully to 4.40 so I will run a back-up tonight and let you know.