3445 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq DLT VS 40/80 boot/install issues

Steve Gerbec
Occasional Contributor

Compaq DLT VS 40/80 boot/install issues

Hi,
I purchased a Compaq DLT VS 40/80 a few months back and we're just now deploying it in our remote office. I've got it set up and plugged in with all of the hardware that came with it. But when I plug it in to the server, and restart the server, it always hangs at the SCSI configuration line (where you can press Ctrl A (i think it is) to configure the device). So does that mean i have to do something in that page in order to make it work?
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq DLT VS 40/80 boot/install issues

two main things to check:

1- do you have a dedicated HBA for the tape drive? or is it on the same scsi chain of the boot drive? (not recommanded) if it is on the same scsi chain, you should be sure that the scsi id is unique per each device, aslo be sure you are using the same tecnology (LVD vs HVD)

2- if you have the drive on a dedicated HBA, be sure you do not have a bent/broken pin on the scsi bus. check each connector, including the terminator

if you have a Adaptec HBA, CtrlA is the key to enter, if you have a different HBA, the key may change.
Also do not attach the drive to a Raid Controller, most of them do not support tapes
Steve Gerbec
Occasional Contributor

The tape drive is on a dedicated SCSI card.

Whats the difference between LVD and HVD and how do i know which one i'm using?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

just check the model number in the vendor site, I remember that the model Adaptec 2944 for example is a Hvd
Nowadays new HBA all use LVD

and theDLT VS is only LVD. Also the terminator should be LVD on the scsi bus.
Steve Gerbec
Occasional Contributor

Its an adaptec 2940U2W.
So with this having been said its probably something in the configuration right? With previous SCSI devices i've always let them go right by that Ctrl+A screen and it would load up no problem. Perhaps is that not the case with this one?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I can suggest you to enter in the controller with CtrlA, reset to default and reboot, if the drive is not detected, double check the cable and connector, and the terminator (sould also be lvd or multimode (lvd/se)
if still it do not appear at boot time, may be your drive is damaged