StoreEver Tape Storage
1752280 Members
5310 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Storageworks MSL5026 Library - (Verification and Backing-up)

Occasional Advisor

Compaq Storageworks MSL5026 Library - (Verification and Backing-up)

Hello!
Good day!

Already installed using users guide that I inquired from here. But when I tried to backup using Windows Backup error message occurs:

" There is no unused media available with the selected type."

Note: Tape cartridge already loaded in tape drive.

When I tried to use Brightstor:

The Brightstor recognized Compaq storageworks. All slot assign to group 0 but all slot label "dismount". I tried simple backup using any option available in the Backup Destination and Backup Media (new tape cartridge loaded in tape drive) but I got the following message:

"There is no unused media available with the selected type. Add unused media or click Cancel to select another type.
Note: It may take up to 60 secs. for Removable Storage to recognize new media."

Please help me on this and very much appreciated.

Regards,

6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Disable the "Removeable Storage Service" under services. This is grabbing the tapes. With Brighstor and Veritas Backup Exec they need to own the tapes and would normally disable the RSS when they start up.

Windows 2000 and 2003 are "robot" aware so they will have an entry under device manager for "Changer".

If not, you need to load and run the HP/Compaq driver kit which includes the changer driver. "MSL 5000 series changer" should appear. Available from here.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/tape/TapeDrv/SCSITapeInstaller.exe

I hope this helps.

Brian
Occasional Advisor

Hello!
I tried to disable the Removable Storage Service but it doesn't work. Now I decided not to use brightstor anymore just a normal Windows backup.

The one you mention in device manager regarding the "changer" is not appearing. The one its appear on device manager is "Tape Drives" Hp Storageworks SuperDLT1 (110/220GB) drive.

Thank you for your time and effort.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The drives show up under "Tape Devices" but you also need to be able to see the changer which is the robot part. Without the changer, the drives appear as standalone units and unless you manually load a tape into the drive, you won't be able to control cartridge movement within the library. The normal SCSI cabling uses one or two ports for configuration (See attached document). Make sure that you have the correct SCSI cabling in place. Once the changer is detected by "plug-and-play" then you can load the driver kit I gave you the link to earlier.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Occasional Advisor

Hi!
Good day!

{Without the changer, the drives appear as standalone units and unless you manually load a tape into the drive, you won't be able to control cartridge movement within the library.}

Yes, I did manually load a tape into the drive but I got the same error message "There is no unused media available with the selected type."

I did not install the one you mention for changer just because I want to make it sure that the tape is working before installing it.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

generaly speaking, the message "there is no unused media available....." mean that the dirve is well detected, but you do not have a good tape ready to use, this mean that you have no free tape, you have no formatted tape, or you have no tape in the pool you select for the backup.
Try to "prepare" a tape via RSM if you use NTbackup or to "Format" a tape if using Brighstore

Occasional Advisor

@Marino: Hi!
I think you are correct but how to prepare a tape via RSM if I use NTbackup? Sorry for this because I'm a new on this system.

Thank you for your reply.