1752812 Members
6283 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq dlt 35 70 drive

Phil Halldron
Occasional Contributor

Compaq dlt 35 70 drive

What sort of SCSI terminator do I use? there are lots of different types (active, passive, differential) and I am completely and utterly confused...

Help!
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

you need:

- a terminator in accord to the connector of your drive: it may be 50 pins or 68, usualy DLT use wide communication (16 bits) and so the cable and connector are 68 pins

- Active/passive, actualy all the terminators are active this mean that you have transistors inside and not only resistors

-Differential vs LVD or SE, this depend of the electrical interface of you DLT drive and your HBA, Differential is also called HVD and have higher voltage on the scsi but then the LVD (Low voltage Differential) or SE (Single End). And also LVD is compatible with SE, but you cannot mix a HVD(Differential) with these two types of electrical specifications.

so probably you need a 68pin active terminator,and HVD or LVD/SE depending of your drive/HBA model

marino
Phil Halldron
Occasional Contributor

checked SCSI card manual, which states "Single-ended SCSI active termination is provided on your...board."

Device has 68 pin connector so it looks like a 68 pin SE Active terminator will do the job.

Many thanks for you help!!!
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Yes, and usualy the teminator is dualmode LVD/SE (Low voltage differential/Single Ended) and will fit your needs. I suppose you are using an exteral drive, if you are using an internal one, usualy a SCSI cable with build in terninator is used (small black box at the end of the cable)