1752754 Members
4986 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting a TL891 to Proliant DL380

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Connecting a TL891 to Proliant DL380

Having trouble seeing tape drives in a TL891 library connected to a Proliant DL380. Our supplier told us we also needed to buy an extra SCSI card Part number 157299-B21. This has been installed, but although the server can see the library device on SCSI ID 0 it doesn't see the 2 drives in the library at startup.
7 REPLIES 7
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Two things first check that you have the seagate dlttape drivers not the compaq 7000/8000 drivers that come with the library(they are on the Veritas backup program).second you are right to set the libary scsi id 0 but the drive default is 4 and 5 if you have two drives,this does not work it will only see the drives if you set them to scssi id 1 and 2.This as far as i have got but i am still getting a driver problem with cpqfcalm which always times out in event viewer.I have tried all versions of smartstart up to v4.9
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You say that the server doesn't see the 2 drives at startup. How do you have them connected? I know this sounds a bit silly, but have you used the short "loop" cables to connect the drives to the library?

You need to connect the server to the 1st connector marked "library" on the back of the TL891. Then connect the 2nd library connector to the 1st one marked "DLT 1". Then connect the 2nd DLT 1 connector to the one marked "DLT 2" and place the terminator on the 2nd connector marked "DLT 2". Even though the DLT drives are internal to the library, they're not connected internally.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Amazingly problem was fixed by simply repeating the loop SCSI cables in the back of the TL891. Someone else outside of this forum did suggest using SCSI ID 1 & 2 but this was not necessary, 4 & 5 worked o. in the end. Thanks for your help
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I'm glad you've got it working now. Maybe you can help me out with something. I'm trying to do exactly the same thing - connecting a DL380 and TL891. The problem I'm having is that Veritas Backup Exec doesn't recognise this device as an autochanger. What backup software are you using?

Everything else is working fine as I've managed to perform a backup by loading a tape manually using the front panel of the TL891. Does your software recognise the autochanger? Did you have to load separate drivers for it, and if so, where did you get them from? Any info you can provide would be much appreciated.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have tried veritas I 7.3 this detected the libaray but not the DDT drives I have since changed DDT drives to scsi ID 1 and 2 and have upgraded to Veritas v8.5 which works well. You should leave the tapes in the slots and veritas will load them into the drives.I cannot tell you what drivers that the newer version of veritas as it is not listed in the driver information.It seems that when installing v8.5 it automatically installs the drivers.
Still big problems with the driver CPQFCALM timing out on the fibre channel anybody any ideas???
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You need to install Autoloader option.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This issue should have been fixed by installing the autoloader option in the backup software, and updating the Compaq specific driver package (ssd for nt, nssd for novell, etc).