108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating device file for Surestore 6/60 robotic accessed via SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Koch_1
Occasional Advisor

Creating device file for Surestore 6/60 robotic accessed via SAN

How do I have to create the robotic device file when I want to access a surestore 6/60 Libraries robotic device via SAN?

I have an L class server attached to a brocade silkworm 2800 switch. The 6/60 has the FC Interace card. Both systems use fabric and I can see then robotic and the tape devices on the server:

autoch 0 0/5/0/0.3.24.255.0.0.0 schgr CLAIMED DEVICE HP C7200-8000 /dev/rac/c44t0d0

tape 0 0/5/0/0.3.24.255.0.0.1 stape CLAIMED DEVICE QUANTUM DLT8000 /dev/rmt/0m

What driver should I use. I think the minor number of the devices has to be 0x2c0000. I tried spt, schgr and sctl without success.

Any hints?
4 REPLIES 4
Aaron Tatone
Frequent Advisor

Michael,

We have Surestore 2/20s and 10/180s both types fibre attached to L-class servers. They both use the autoch class of the schgr driver. Below is the output of the ioscan from the 10/180.

autoch 1 0/4/0/0.8.0.0.0.15.0 schgr CLAIMED DEVICE HP A561A
/dev/rac/c6t15d0

Hope this helps

Aaron
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

This problem comes up from time to time.
I've attached a TKB document that should
solve your problem.

HTH
-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

you should use the changer device file /dev/rac/c44t0d0 to manipulate the library, i.e. to move the media between slots and the drive. To write to the media you should use the rmt device file /dev/rmt/0m

You use,

mc -p /dev/rac/c44t0d0 -s S2 -d D1

This will move the media from slot S2 (two) to drive D1 (one)

mc -p /dev/rac/c44t0d0 -s D1 -d S2

This will move the media from drive D1 to slot S2.

To write to the media in drive D1 once you have moved the media to the drive, you can use the regular unix commands like tar/cpio/fbackup,

tar cvf /dev/rmt/0m file_name_or_directory

Hope this helps.

Regds
Michael Koch_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to all of you for your replys. My problem seems to be with one of the surestore boxes (I have got two of them). I only tried the first one (with an older 11.40) firmware and run into trouble. Today I tried the one with the newer firmware and anything works fine. So I have to troubleshoot the Library problem.