108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

D2D 2504i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Humphrey McGee
Occasional Advisor

D2D 2504i

Is it possible to recover a deleted library?

Thanks in advance.

Sam
4 REPLIES 4
thomasr
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: D2D 2504i

You can always recreate a library to get one with the same configuration (drives, cartridges)... but once a library is deleted, the data structures and associated data blocks get deleted so that the space can be reclaimed. The data you had in that library is gone.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Humphrey McGee
Occasional Advisor

Thanks; that is what I figured. I do have tapes I copied from backups (from the deleted library). In order to successfully import those tapes, does the library have to have the exact same name, i.e. Library 1, or just the same configuration (drives, cartridges, etc.)? Does the library have to be completely empty to import tapes, or simply have enough empty cartridges (like if there are 2 tapes then I'd need 2 empty cartridges on the D2D library). Thanks again. Sam
thomasr
Respected Contributor

There are two main possibilities, and how you do it depends on which physical setup you have. The D2D Backup System supports a tape drive directly connected to it for tape offload, or you may have the tape drive attached to the server directly.

If you have the tape drive directly attached to the server, then you don't even need the same 'topology' -- as long as the D2D's has enough cartridges, and each one is sized big enough to hold all the data on one of the physical tapes, just use your backup application to perform a 'copy' from the physical tape to a virtual tape.

If you have the tape drive connected to the D2D directly, then the tape drive appears as a mail slot, and you can use your backup application to move the cartridge from the mail slot it sees to an empty slot in the D2D (which will make the D2D perform the copy from physical to virtual). Or, through the D2D GUI you can do essentially the same thing.

I hope this helps.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Humphrey McGee
Occasional Advisor

Yes, very much. Thanks!