1752522 Members
5403 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: D2D130 and Data Protector Express

Eoin kiersey
Occasional Advisor

D2D130 and Data Protector Express

So I have purchased both of these and presumed they would work together well, however I am amazingly disappointed. My backup scenario is simple but the HP products make it so difficult. I am hoping it is my lack of experience with these products which is the problem, however I am not betting on it.

I have 2 servers and one workstation in the backup domain. I need all of them to backup to iSCSI and then copy to a single tape (the internal Ultrium 920).

When I add each host to the backup domain it attains its own iSCSI Autoloader. In the storage works manager on the D2D130 I have only the option to backup one slot on one cartridge to tape........ which does not work for me.

If I get them all to backup to one iSCSI Autoloader which is on one of the hosts then the backups take forever as I'm guessing that host has all of the backup data from the other hosts passing through it.

Is their anyway to add each host to the same iSCSI Autoloader with the iSCSI initiator?

Hopefully this is me missing the obvious.

I would also really appreciate it if anyone has any documentation for configuring both of these HP products to work together..... I can't find any documentation which highlights using both in the same config.

Many Thanks
Eoin
9 REPLIES 9
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Eoin

Here is my advice for you:

1. Configure a Domain server on DPE then add the other server as a client so that both servers can be seen on the domain.

2. Configure your D2D so it uses 800GB Tape cartridges

3. Perform a backup job of all data using append to all media but it must use 1 TAPE ONLY.

4. Once this tape gets full or once you want to copy the media to the physical tape then use the D2D manager (not DPE) to copy from virtual media to physical media.

Regards
Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Eoin kiersey
Occasional Advisor

Hi Pablo,

Many thanks for your reply, your suggestion is already implemented in my current setup. Funny thing is that the backup was a lot quicker than usual last night.... I had changed the network card on the Dataprotector storage DC, so maybe that was causing the problem.

I still don't find the combination of both the Dataprotector Express + D2D130 to be justify its price.... the single tapedrive is just not suited to the way backups are set. I feel I would be much better off builing a small workstation with a RAID array and adding a tapedrive instead of the D2D130.

I do appreciate your reply though, you are a credit to this site.

Eoin kiersey
Occasional Advisor

Just another point on this, if someone can answer. If I have a tape on which I have archived one of the slots on the D2D130 and I import this back to the same slot a few months later for recovery... will the data protector express library be able to recognize the old data?
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Yes but you need to import it using DPE

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Eoin kiersey
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again for you reply, but the restore will be from a cartridge on the autoloader. How can I specifically point DPE to the cartridge/slot?

Another thing, I take it this is an import of the content list and it doesn't import data.... so afterwards I can browse the data on the cartridge?
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

See the attactment
Pablo Alv Siles
Eoin kiersey
Occasional Advisor

Ok, so say the tape is restored to cartridge "monthly" on autoloader 1 which is where all backups go.

I import the tape on the D2D130 to the "monthly" cartridge on Autoloader 1. Now I create a new restore job in DPE and go to the filters as your jpeg and point it to the "monthly" rotation media?
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

yup that's the way! May the force be with you
Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Eoin kiersey
Occasional Advisor

And also with you..... Thanks...as usualy ;)

... p.s I'll be back.