New Discussion юеВ

D2D2T with D2D2503i and MSL2024

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tamas Gregorics
Occasional Advisor

D2D2T with D2D2503i and MSL2024

Hi,

One of my clients wants a backup solution for their servers. He picked the D2D2503i and MSL2024 products, and would like to use Data Protector Express' D2D2T function (along with the remote agent to backup 10 other file servers).

I'm having a little trouble with the setup though, and our local HP manager wasn't too clear either.

I know I can attach a tape drive to the D2D2503i, but what about the MSL2024?

Do I have to put a SAS HBA in the machine running the data protector express backup server, and connect the MSL there, or I can put the HBA in the D2D unit and connect the MSL to it?

Also, somewhat relevant: can multiple servers directly use the MSL library? Maybe if i use 2 1760 drive and partition the library?

Sorry if my questions did not make much sense, but I'm fairly new to the backup business.

Thank you,
Thomas.
5 REPLIES 5
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

Re: D2D2T with D2D2503i and MSL2024

Hi Thomas

The physical tape drive attached to the D2D wont be detected by DPE but it will be detected by the D2D manager.

You must connect the SAS HBA to the domain server or any client server but NOT on the D2D.

All servers in the domain will be able to use the MSL library

Take a look at the example on page 14.
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-7937ENW.pdf

I recomend you to atach the library to the domain server that way you wont need any media license.

Pablo Alvarado Siles

One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Tamas,

If your going to be setting up a backup solution with multiple servers and tape drives, I would not use DPE. I would use DataProtector. DP is much better at handling multiple servers/tape drives.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Tamas Gregorics
Occasional Advisor

> TapeDrive Killer

Thank you for your answers. I have, however, some more questions.

You said servers in the domain will be able to use the MSL library. How exactly is that done? By using the network server agent? But in that case, won't my bandwidth be limited by the LAN?

Also, if I connect the MSL to the domain server, I still need the D2D2Any option, right? If not, why should I get it?

If I remember correctly, the D2D can be used by 6 servers as a virtual tape device via iSCSI. But i have more than 6 servers, around 12. In this case should I connect the MSL and the D2D to the domain server, and use the network server agents to backup to the disc, then to the MSL?

Also, if I can only connect the MSL to one server, what is partitioning good for?

> Phillip Thayer

I'm only going to use one MSL and a D2D unit. I have 12 servers to back up. I'm not familiar with the pricing of DP. Is it much more expensive than DPE?
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Thomas,

DP can be more expensive than DPE depending on the number of servers/workstations your going to backup, but it provides much more flexibility than DPE does. With DPE, it is required that you install the full DPE software on each server. With DP you install the Cell Manager and setup an installation server which allows you to push the required DP clients to whatever servers or workstations that you want to backup.

What is missed a lot of times is that with DP the disk agents that are used to backup the systems are a no cost item. What you pay for in DP is the Cell Manager/Installation server, Media Agents and any Application Agents you may need (like Exchange or SQL). With DPE you have to purchase a license for each server you will be backing up. So you get to a price point with DPE where it actually chaper to purchase DP instead.

I personally like DP because it is much more centrally managable and more of a client server based solution.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

All servers will be able to use the library because there will be a place to choose what backup device you can use. Check this out
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3349/devicewx0.jpg

You will need the D2D2any License but DPE runs 60 days evaluation with all licenses isntall.

I dont see a reason on creating 6 virtual autoloaders, you can create only 1 and backup only to that autoloader all servers.

i reccomend you to install DPE trial version and test it on your own HP has exelent DPE support.

Regards

Pablo Alvarado Siles
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement