7067 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DAT 24 in TC2100 Server Win2000 svc pk 4 problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan Miller_3

DAT 24 in TC2100 Server Win2000 svc pk 4 problems

After installing Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 on an HP TC2100 Server (that was running service pack 3), I get the following message in the event viewer:

Source: Service Control Manager
Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
4mmdat--VRTS

Veritas Backup Exec ignores all jobs, and runs nothing at the scheduled times. I have installed the latest DDS drivers from HP (dated 8/7/03), and these do not resolve the problem.

Having run a search on Google for similar issues and possible solutions, I found that two others have experienced this exact problem, but as of yet, they have not been proveded answers. My situation appears to not be unique.

I would greatly appreciate any information anyone can offer.
3 REPLIES 3
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DAT 24 in TC2100 Server Win2000 svc pk 4 problems

Here's a number of things. First, disable the Removable Storage in services. You do not need an HP driver becuase Veritas installs it's own. Download Library and Tape tools from here to test your drive. http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
Be sure to stop all 7 Veritas backup services before you run LTT. It's more than likely a software issue. Check with Veritas for compatibilty with SP4. Is the drive seen on POST? May need a different HBA driver. Good luck
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
meloni
Honored Contributor

hi
4mmdat--VRTS,
VRTS stay for Veritas, this is the driver that could not start, I suggest to remove the hp driver in device manager and let Veritas use it own, or remove the Veritas one, but in order to do that I think you should reinstall the software without the option: "install drivers"

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Dan Miller_3

Thanks for the assist, guys. Your information was helpful.

I was able to resolve the issue, but the situation is not all that it seemed. The customer told me later that they had experienced a power-outage. Evidently that had transparently damaged the firmware on the DAT 24. While the drive was recognized, it would not respond to anything. In an attempt to resolve, the customer had installed 2kSP4.
It now seems that it only compounded the problem.

Me flashing the firmware re-awakened the drive's read/write ability, but the Windows error still took place. I removed and reinstalled Veritas (and presumably the appropriate VRTS driver as I instructed Veritas to install and use its own driver), and all problems are now resolved. I'm guessing that the pervious version of the Veritas driver may not be compatible with SP4 (?)

I hope this additional info may help anyone else who faces this strange set of circumstances.

Thank you again,
Dan