StoreEver Tape Storage
1753873 Members
7841 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

DAT 24I Not Recognised on SBS 2003

CA1061147

DAT 24I Not Recognised on SBS 2003

I've recently been playing with Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 Release Candidate. Our Surestore DAT 24I worked fine. However, Iâ ve now reformatted the Hard Drive and installed the retail version of Small Business Server 2003 and now the drive isnâ t recognised.

Iâ ve changed the SCSI card, PCI Slot and SCSI lead without success. Iâ ve also downloaded the drivers from the HP website and tried to install via â Add New Hardwareâ - still no success, after pointing the wizard to the driver directory the Device List is empty.

Can any kind soul help?

6 REPLIES 6
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT 24I Not Recognised on SBS 2003

A couple of places to start. First, see if the drive is being seen during POST attached to the SCSI controller. If not you have low level hardware configuration problem. If so, go here and download Library and Tape Tools diagnostic to see if it sees the drive. Make sure to disable the Removable Storage Manager in the services before running L&TT
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1061147

Many thanks Lewis.

The PC in question is a Dell and, for the life of me, I can't find a way to see the Post screen. However, I have downloaded and run the LTT and the drive can't be seen there also.

I wonder if the SBS installation is a Red Hearing and the drive is dead?
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

I'm wondering if you are using a 68 - 50 pin converter for this drive to connect it to the host. If so, the host may be set to wide negotiation and might not see the drive. Can you do control A during post to get into the SCSI BIOS configuration?
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

To see the post all you have to do is reboot.
the name of your SCSI controller will be shown as well as any device connteced (i.e. the tape drive).
What controller are you using?
If it is an adaptec please refer to this link:
http://adaptec-tic.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=-eyTgB-g&p_lva=&p_faqid=7795&p_created=1051904136&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTY1JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9V2luZG93cyAyMDAzJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT03MCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj03MSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li

some of there cards are not supported in the Windows 2003 OS
CA1061147

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response.

No, I'm not using a 68 - 50 pin converter and I'm using a Tekram DC-315/U PCI Scsi Adaptor. Unlike the Adaptec adaptord there doesn't seem to be an Alt-A option. For the life of me I can't see a way to get to the Dell's post screen that Bob asks for. The boot screen goes straight into the DELL logo screen and from there to Windows 2003 boot screen. I've spent ages in the BIOS trying to disable the Dell Boot screen with no sucess.

The drive and SCSI card have been happliy working for some months. The problems have just started when I did a clean install of SBS 2003 Retail.