1748151 Members
3528 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DAT 40I recently has continuous cyclic redundancy check errors

Robert Simons
Occasional Contributor

DAT 40I recently has continuous cyclic redundancy check errors

I have a surestore DAT40I tape device that I purchased in March of 2000. Recently, I have been having problems with my backups aborting because of cyclic redundancy check errors. No hardware or software changes were made before this started occuring. I have been using the cleaning tape about every 2-3 backups and use it up to 5 times in a row since the problems started occuring. Sometimes the backups fail, sometimes they work, and I've eliminated the possiblity of bad media. Is my tape device bad?

Robert
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT 40I recently has continuous cyclic redundancy check errors

Robert,
cleaning tape should be used after every 5 full backups or after 20 tape pulling hours.
Install HP Library and Tape Tools from http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html , run tests, update firmware etc.
If you see these errors reported for the tape, then drive may be bad, if errors are for drive or SCSI bus, then either drive or something on the bus is bad.
Try replacing SCSI cable and terminator(s), disconnecting all devices from the bus except DAT40i. Try drive in the other machine
Eugeny
Robert Simons
Occasional Contributor

I did install and run tape tools 2.9 and updated my firmware about a month ago. I have been using the cleaning about every 4 nights, or 16 running hours. These are the only solutions I have found for my problem, which I don't think has to do with SCSI conflicts or errors since it started occuring after no hardware or software changes. Do you happen to know their warranty length on this device?

Robert
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Warranty info is here http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/tapebackup/dds_dat_drives/dds4_dat40/warranty.html . Anyway you can call HP and check your drive's warranty.
The best way to check drive is to connect it to known good machine and try backup there using, for example, NT backup.
Eugeny