108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT 40i + BackupExec 8.6

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simon Williamson
Occasional Contributor

DAT 40i + BackupExec 8.6

I have been using these both together for a few weeks now with minimal problems. Now the backups are saying The tape Drive Needs to be cleaned. No Cleaning light is coming on, on the front of the drive. In Backup Exec I try to run a Clean Tape Job but when you go to select the a drive to clean it doesnt not appear in the list. I have tried just putting a Sony DDS Cleaning tape in the drive but it just loads then unloads the tape straight away. I also have L&TT tools and updated to latest firmware. Does someone know either a program to clean the drive or are these self cleaning or how to enable backupexec to clean the drive? thankyou.
5 REPLIES 5
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Simon,
these drives should be cleaned regularly: after each 5 full backups or 20 tape pulling hours. Usually when drive is asking to clean by itself it's too late....
Although, in your situation when software asks to clean drive BUT drive does not want to be cleaned I would suspect software got crazy. Check which driver is loaded, try upgrading driver (check with BackupExec manual about drivers).
Does LTT say that drive needs to be cleaned? What's in support ticket?
Eugeny
Simon Williamson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Yes L&TT Says that the drive should be cleaned as you say after every 5 backups or when the light comes on. So far the light has never come on. When you do a diagnostic on the drive it also says the drive should be cleaned aswell but as mentioned I cant force it to be cleaned anyware. At the moment its using veritas drivers i think so I might try the HP Driver for it. Is there a program to force it to be cleaned?? Thanks.
Simon Williamson
Occasional Contributor

I tried the latest HP Driver and also the latest drivers from backup exec's website aswell with still no joy :( . ANy other programs that can force a drive to go into a cleaning mode?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,
if you have a DAT40i, you do not need to setup any cleaning job on BExec. You just need to insert the cartridge, and the unit will automaticaly clean the head, the cartidge will be ejected immediately (around one minut). You have to track manualy how many time you inserted the cartridge setting a flag on the sticker put on the box. when you reach 50 cycle you need to use a new one.
Simon Williamson
Occasional Contributor

Well thats great news. I was going nuts here trying to work out why it couldnt be cleaned. Your a leg. Thanks.