4033 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT 72 USB OBDR

Bechir Bjaoui
Occasional Advisor

DAT 72 USB OBDR

Hello,

I want to know if somewone has already seen the OBDR in DAT 72 usb function correctly.

customer wants to restore his system from drive but he cants, when you puch the OBDR button during the server boot no nothing occurs. all customer that i see have the same problem.
all customer have the recfent firmware and data protector express.

but when I'm reading a doc about OBDR i found that i must install an agent named BARE METAl
whit data protector express to reach the OBDR fuction. there is only a small phrase about this agent and i dount found it anywhere.

thank you for your help
6 REPLIES 6
Barrie Evans_1
Advisor

Is this an internal or external drive? The OBDR functionality is started when the drive is power-cycled with the eject button pressed/held down. If this is an internal unit, then the drive should be getting power cycled as part of the server re-boot. However, if this is an external unit then the drive needs to be power-cycle as well.

If this still doesn't cause the drive to enter OBDR mode, then please post a reply to this one, and I will try to help further.

cheers,
Barrie
Bechir Bjaoui
Occasional Advisor

Hi Barrie,

the drie is external, i know extactly how it can be correctly power-cyled. before with scsi drive and tapware that functioned correctly, we press a few seconde the button OBDR and we reach to the menu of restoration. but know with the usb and data protector express ODBR doesnt work.

i tested this with many usb drive.
i want to know if possible what is bare metal agent i found only some word about in data protector express installation guide and it's mentioneted that ODBR will not function without this agent.

Thank's
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Depending on the model of DAT 72 USB you have there is a script in LTT that should resolve a batch issue with those models.
marius402
Valued Contributor

Hi there,

Look at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00505365/c00505365.pdf Page 249.

You do not require additional licenses if you purchased a HP Tape drive and only want to backup a single server. Just make sure that the backup is a full backup and has been set to overwrite the tape (not the default "Append"). Your server must support boot from tape (The tape becomes a CD bootable device if you press the select button during startup)

Cheers

Marius
Barrie Evans_1
Advisor

This is the response that I have received from the Solutions team:

"If the customer is using HP Data Protector Express Single Server Edition (as shipped with the HP Reseller Drive), this will have the necessary part of the Bare Metal Recovery system for OBDR to work on the appropriately supported ProLiant server. They need to make a full system backup to create the OBDR tape.

If this is any other server platform, then the user is lucky if it works.

However, if they have purchased/upgraded to HP Data Protector Express normal product (i.e. not the bundled Single Server Edition), then they will need to purchase the Bare Metal Recovery option to support OBDR, since it is not part of the base Data Protector Express product.

To me, we need to check how the user got the copy of Data Protector Express. If it was with the drive, then OBDR should work on the supported ProLiant Server. If it's not a supported server then for USB (& SCSI) there are no promises that OBDR will work.

Otherwise it could be he has an incorrectly configured drive."

Hope this helps.
marius402
Valued Contributor

Barrie,

The DPX SSE should work with any server that basically supports USB boot. The moment that you press the Select button while powering the PC on the drive will change from a tape drive to a "CD Drive" booting from the tape (obviously the Hardware must then support boot from CD as well). The DPX backup must have two key features enabled, namely a full backup and "overwrite enabled". An automatic DR backup will take place without any further modifications or settings required.

I have tested this with W2K, W2k3 & Novell without any problems. You should also be able to do the same with CD backup & booting as well, but I have posted another thread where this does not work correctly.

Thanx

Marius