1753637 Members
6045 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

DAT24 Restore Problem

Robert Haselman
Occasional Contributor

DAT24 Restore Problem

Hi, I recently made a huge mistake with my LH4 hard disk array and lost my data. I have a 4mm backup and did a restore, but only my directories and folders restored and NOT my files?? Any help would be great. I did a complete backup, and after that a differential to update the backup.

Thank you!

p.S. This thread has been moevd from General to Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT24 Restore Problem

Howdy,
Is this Windows or Linux?
What backup software did you use to do the backup?
Did you use the same tape for both the full & incr backup??

regards
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Robert Haselman
Occasional Contributor

Windows 2000 server is the os and yes I did use the same tape for both backups. Any ideas?
Robert Haselman
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I used the windows software for the backup.
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
I hope that someone can prove me wrong but I didn't think that you could put 2 backups onto the same tape with Microsoft backup? All the examples show different tapes for the full and incremental backups.

It would seem that you have overwritten your full backup with the incremental one.

Sorry.
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Ian is correct, the Windows backup product will overwrite the tape unless you specify to add to the tape. Considering the size of the tape (12-24GB) I would think that there is not enough room to do a full and differential backup on the same tape.

Also, if you are just going to use one tape, it's a much easier solution to do a full backup each night.

Josh
What are the chances...
Robert Haselman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies, I know I need to hire an IT expert.