5716 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT40i backup problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael_405

DAT40i backup problem

I'm using a DAT40i model #C5683A tape backup on Windows 2000 Server. The tape drive and a Seagate Cheetah 18 GB Ultra 160 SCSI hard drive (C:) are together on an Adaptec 29160N SCSI controller. Also, there are (3) of the same Seagate hard drives on a Adaptec 131U2 SCSI controller in a Raid-5 configuration. The problem is that I can't back up more than 1 meg of data without receiving the following error:
Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
The device is not ready. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I dowloaded the HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools and ran all the tests. Every test was successfull. I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
Michael_405

I should specify the problem a little more. I can run any size backup with no problem as long as it is on my C: drive. The problem with the 1 meg limit is when I'm trying to backup data from the arrayed drives.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

What backup application are you using, the native win2k backup?

Are there any errors in the window event logs (system log or application log)?

Can you run LTT after a failure and generate a support ticket (support tool -> Save support ticket to file) and post it here? We can look to see if the drive is reporting any errors.

The journey IS the reward.
Michael_405

David,

We're using Veritas Backup Exec Server Edition version 8.60 revision 3808.

I've attached the Application and Systems logs as well as the report generated by Backup Exec and the support ticket from LTT. I hope they contain something that helps.

Thank you.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Sorry for the delay.

The system logs are clean (no SCSI errors). The application log has events such as:
1/13/2004 8:29 Source: Backup Exec Type: Error EventID:57665
HP 1, write data to media, The device is not ready.

This matches with what you posted.

The drive fault logs are clean (no errors). The other logs in the drive also look good (ignore the high counts on mechanism errors, this is an LTT decoding problem when using the C305 USS compliant firmware in the DDS4).

Maybe the key here is "What is HP 1"? Could that be one of the RAID drives? Maybe the problem is in pulling data off the RAID (just a wild guess).

That's about all I can offer for advice. I looked at the veritas support docs, but could not find anything matching this device not ready problem (or the event ID).
The journey IS the reward.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Michael, The only thing I can suggest is to isolate the tape drive on its own SCSI controller to see if this makes a difference. We don't like to connect tape drives to the same bus as hard drives even though your C drive seems to be the only one that works.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Danielle Bush

I'm sorry I can't help, but I am having the same type of problem using Veritas Backup Exec on a Windows 2000 server...I get about 40 gig into the back up and it craps out with an error of:
"Storage device "tape drive 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media. The I/O bus was reset."
This is after 3hrs, 53 minutes. All three times, it would go for about the same amount of time, between 3 hrs, 52 minutes, and 3hrs, 54 minutes. Can't, for now, find anything on this.