StoreEver Tape Storage
1748155 Members
3833 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT72 Compression Problem

Andy Hart

DAT72 Compression Problem

I have a HP DAT72 USB Drive connected to a single server running Windows 2000 Server.

Running Data Protector Express v3.5 SP2 Single Server Edition.

Compression doesn't seem to be working when i use a backup job via DPE software.

I have dowloaded the HP Diagnostic tools and run the compression test, this works fine and shows a compression of 2:1.

But when i run the backup job via DPE it never compresses and shows compression of 1:1 in the log. I have ticked the box within the backup job to enable Hardware Compression.

What am i doing wrong? It's driving me mad!!!
6 REPLIES 6
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Andy:

Try the latest DPX 3.5 SP2 hotfix build 37634. There was a defect in the earlier build of DPX 3.5 SP2 that prevented the tape drive from using compression when the DPX gui was opened.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1144272&prodNameId=1144275&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-58946-1
Andy Hart

I have now finally got around to loading the Hot Fix for DPE v3.5 SP2.

I have run another backup and again NO compression!

I have checked the settings on the backup job and i have the "Hardware Compression" tick box checked...

Any other ideas what might be wrong?
Andy Hart

Does anyone have any further ideas on this?
Juan B.S.R.
Trusted Contributor

Hi Andy.
Have you solved this issue?
I am in the same situation and I have test the environment with NTbackup and Data Protector Express.
Andy Hart

No i am afraid i haven't solved the problem. When i use the HP tape tools it looks like compression works fine, but when i use DPE to backup some data it doesn't compress...
Juan B.S.R.
Trusted Contributor

Hi Andy.
I will try to solve it.
Thanks for your reply and best regards.