1752701 Members
6159 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DATA PROTECTOR EXPRESS SCSI BUS ERROR

Rob van Endt
Occasional Advisor

DATA PROTECTOR EXPRESS SCSI BUS ERROR

Using Data Protector Express 3.50 SP1, with an Ultrium 1840 internal tape drive on a AiO600 Storage server. SCSI adapter is a LSI Ultra320 Series 2000.

Backups run and then always stop after about 30% completion with an error : "The status of the SCSI bus is invalid"

I then have to cancel the failed job.

See attached screen shot jpg.

Have checked physical connections etc.
18 REPLIES 18
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Re: DATA PROTECTOR EXPRESS SCSI BUS ERROR

Is this a windows 2003 server?

Check the SCSI driver, scsiport or storport.

If storport make sure you have the MS storport patch.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755

If all that is fine, it may be a cabling or hardware problem. You could install the HP tape tools and run diags.
Rob van Endt
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Bill. Yes, it is a Windows Server 2003. Actually it runs Windows Storage Server 2003. I will try the Microsoft patch and test backups over the next few days. I have already made sure the drivers for the LSI SCSI adapter is correct and that of the Ultrium tape drive. Will update the forum once I have results.
Rob van Endt
Occasional Advisor

After the Microsoft patch I still get the same error. "Error 4049 The status of the SCSI bus is invalid" The backup runs perfectly until around 45000 out of 123000 selected items for backup. Total selected files is around 250GB. Hope you can help.
Rob van Endt
Occasional Advisor

It looks like the problem lies with Data Protector Express. If I use NTBACKUP, the backups to tape run successfully every time. So, SCSI adapter and other hardware must be ok and the problem seems to be with the backup software application.
Marek Kowalski

I have the same problem with identical HBA on DL380 G5 with Windows 2008 and newest Data Protector. Newset drivers for HBA was taken from LSI Page (from Dec 07). Did somebody have any suggestion to resolve problem ?

Best Regards

Marek
Veram_
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Try update to 3.5 SP2 and check if the issue remains

Best Regards

p.s SP1 has many problems this may be one of them

check if You even update to the newest version 4.0 of the DPX
Rob van Endt
Occasional Advisor

It is now 5 months later and I just could not get it to work. I gave up on Data Protector Express and now use Windows NT backup with scheduler. That works 100% every time. So, my conclusion is that this has nothing to do with the hardware, but rather with the Data Protector Express software. Version updates did not work either. Just use good old NT backup :)
Veram_
Frequent Advisor

Yes Rob, I agree with You DPX is disapointing and NT backup can save us some gray hairs :D
conti
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I've the same issue.

Using DP 4.0 with LTO3 drive internal on AiO600 storage server and same SCSI adapter.

Moreover image installed is the latest version 1.4

several tests were performed:

- installed a W2K3 standard edition OS with DP and tests were ok.
- restored image Windows storage server R2 for AIO version 1.4 (latest update, driver and firmware) and test it but issue had appears again (the status of the SCSI bus is invalid).
- tested with LTT (Dev Perf 128GB with compression and 1Mb buffer size) and NTbackup (40 GB of data) and it worked fine. (FYI: RSM started for these tests).
- installed last update of DP (version 4.0): same issue.

It seems that problem exist since few months. Any news or any new fix, patch or something like that?

regards,