5099 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DDS-3 12/24 DAT (SDT-9000) Disaster Recovery

Goran Kubelka
Advisor

DDS-3 12/24 DAT (SDT-9000) Disaster Recovery

Dear All,
I have a problem to put 12/24 DAT (SDT-9000)in Disaster Recovery Mode.The drive is internal installed in Compaq Proliant 1600 Server.Can anyone tell me what is corect procedure and what are correct led indications at front of drive when it is in DR Mode?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: DDS-3 12/24 DAT (SDT-9000) Disaster Recovery

It's documented in the DRTape Solutions Guide.

1. Insert the SmartStart CD in your CDROM drive. Allow it to run until promted for your OS CD.

2. Remove the SmartStart CD.

3. Retrieve the most recent DRTape.

4. Make sure the DRTape is write-protected and load it into the tape drive.

5. When all 3 LED indicators are blinking, power on the computer within 15 seconds. This will place the tape drive in DR mode.

6. When the system restarts the tape drive is identified as a bootable device.
The journey IS the reward.
Goran Kubelka
Advisor

David,
I can`t understand this step:

5. When all 3 LED indicators are blinking, power on the computer within 15 seconds. This will place the tape drive in DR mode.

As I mentioned in my question my drive is internal.So the drive have power only when the computer is powered on. How I can power on the computer whitin 15 sec. when it is already running(LED indicators are blinking)???????
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Goran,

> As I mentioned in my question my drive is internal.So the drive have power only when the computer is powered on. How I can power on the computer whitin 15 sec. when it is already running(LED indicators are blinking)???????

Good question. I suspect you power-up the comptuer and the tape drive, and perhaps pause the boot process until the tape drive LEDs are flashing, and then resume the boot process.

I don't see the DRTape Solution reference guide available on the web, so if you send me your email address to ltt_team@hp.com, I'll email you the whole guide, in case that helps you.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The doc is in the (e)mail.
Goran Kubelka
Advisor

David,
Thank you for your efforts but I still do not have an answer how to put the Internal drive in DR Mode
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

I do not have a Compaq DDS drive to try this out myself, so all I know is what the manual states.

You might want to contact the hp support center - make sure you tell them it is a compaq-branded DAT drive.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Another option to try would be to email for support. On the following webpage, look under collaborate for "email for support (compaq only)"

http://us.itrc.hp.com/service/help/siteMap.do?Page=file0901
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Did it work in the past?

I think you are trying to perform a DRTape Disaster Recovery and not a OBDR,
if it is the case, see:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EA000721_CW01
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EX001214_CW01

to put the drive in DR mode you need first to create a DRTape (that include all the boot and config information)
then insert it in the Tape Drive, but be sure the cartridge is write protected.
When the three leds are flashing, power off the server (keep the power on button pushed for five seconds if it do not power off)
rebooting the server, the bios will discover a bootable CR-ROM instead of a Tape Drive

marino