1752590 Members
2959 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DDS-3 Instantly Ejecting

Matt Western
Advisor

DDS-3 Instantly Ejecting

I have an SDT-9000 DDS3 drive in a Windows 2003 server. The server runs Backup Exec v9.1.

I have replaced the drive twice now but contine to have the same problem.

Problem 1 - When I put a new tape in for the nights backup, it ejects straight away.

Problem 2 - I ran the HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools v3.5 SR2 diags on the drive and it came up with a failure during the Media Analysis test:

Drive reported unrevovered I/O error condition test phase cannot proceed. I/O excpetion (sense key 3 Sense code 0x1100 - Unrecovred read error). SCSI cmd I/O @ 3/0.3.0 space

Problem 3 - During the read/write test, the drive continually ejected the cleaning tape (100+ times) and I had to cancel the test.

I don't think the problem is the drive, but then again???

This drive is now the 3rd drive and the ejecting problem has happened to all drives. I have no idea what is going on.

All help greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Matt,

"Problem 3 - During the read/write test, the drive continually ejected the cleaning tape (100+ times) and I had to cancel the test."

A cleaning tape shouldn't be used for a read/write test. Use a normal tape.

Kurt
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Cleaning tape should be used when the drive request for cleaning or, perhaps (for DDS drives) on a regulary basis. But, it is not possible to write any data to a cleaning tape.

Your drive behaviour normal, the cleaning media is detected automatic by the drive and is ejected after the cleaning process.
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Could please try to use non-cleaning tape for test ?

Cleaning tape will be ejected automatically when the cleaning process is done.

You can use the action plan below :
1. use the tape (non cleaning tape) to test.
2. If the problem still persist, please check the cable connection and the terminator. And try again to run the backup test.
3. If the problem still persist after action plan #2, call HP. Looks like the drive is faulty.

Hope this information can help.

Cheers,
AW

PS : dont forget assign the point 8-)
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Matt_324

I must have used the wrong name for the test, but the test does certainly ask for a cleaning tape. From memory, the cleaning tape is requested four times.

The tapes are ejected when one is inserted prior to the backup running. The tape completely enters the drive body, but ejects before it is even properly seated.

I have no idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for your help.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

1- be sure to format/inizialize the new tape before to use it, or it will be ejected because of unknown format
2-If the media is not formatted, you cannot perform a media analysis test because this test read data on tape.
3- if ltt fail read/write test, and ask for cleaning cartridge, this is because the head of the drive is not able to write /read on the specific tape.

Or you got a bad drive or you get bad tapes. You can run the media validation test(That is a non destructive test) on old written tapes to identify if the problem is with new tapes or with new drive

marino
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Matt,

Looks like the hardware mechanism is faulty, my advice on this is to call HP to replace the tape drive.

Hope this info can help you.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix