StoreEver Tape Storage
1753479 Members
4790 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DDS3 (DAT24 C1537A) suddenly won't work with DDS3 tapes

CA821996

DDS3 (DAT24 C1537A) suddenly won't work with DDS3 tapes

I have a C1537A which was working fine and suddenly, it doesn't like DDS3 tapes.
It gives constant errors writing to DDS3 tapes and makes the chattering noise that these drives make (presumably when tensioning tapes?) a lot when looking at a DDS3.

I have the latest L&TT and latest firmware and even L&TT has problems doing a Read/Write test with a DDS3. It's fine with a DDS2. I did a recal - it asked for a DDS2 and it recal'ed ok. I wonder if this cal'ed it for a DDS2 tape only? I can't recal again - it says "you've already done this once".

Any ideas? Can I re(re)cal with a DDS3? L&TT finds no errors at all - it (and backup in XP) can't write to DDS3 tapes without nasty errors any more. The drive is about four years old and has never had really heavy use.
10 REPLIES 10
CA628575
Trusted Contributor

Re: DDS3 (DAT24 C1537A) suddenly won't work with DDS3 tapes

Please zip up the EventLog_xxx.ltt files in the HP L&TT logs folder and e-mail them to ltt_team@hp.com. Please also generate a tool status report (you can do that under the help menu).

We cannot guarantee that we can help you, but we would be very interested in the data from your drive to evaluate the situation, and the effectiveness of the recalibration process.

If it turns out to be a hardware problem we may have to redirect you to a local HP customer support center. But first we'd like to take a look at your data.

Disclaimer: the ltt_team@hp.com mailbox is for support with HP L&TT software problems only and we cannot provide hardware support.
CA821996

Ok, thanks. I'll do that this evening and post the results off.
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Dear Philip,
The noise is probably the head cleaner being activated. It is much easier for the drive to read DDS-2 tapes than DDS-3 so what you say is logical. When a DDS-2 tape is used the format and density of recording are set at DDS-2 standard. Try the head cleaning tape 3 times as it may be possible you have some debris on the heads or guides.

Rothery
CA785754
Advisor

I have to second cleaning. The DDS2 tape is 120 meters and the DDS3 which stores 3 times as much native data is only 5 meters longer! The tapes are IDed by the switch holes in the bottom rear of the cassette (opposite side from write protect). When the tape is ingested, it lowers slightly. If there is a hole over the switch it is not activated - if there isn't, the switch is. Since the recording density is so much higher Dirt is probably the answer. Yes, head could be within alignment to read DDS2 and not within DDS3 perameters or a problem with the switches, but I tend to believe you need a multi-pass cleaning.
Don't fix what ain't broke!
CA821996

Ok, thanks - I'll try that tonight although I've done a multi-pass clean fairly recently ...
CA756694
Honored Contributor

Jan sent me your event logs.

I'm afraid that they don't show enough information.
Although the heads seem to be within specification

Given that your drive stopped working with DDS3 media BEFORE you ran the recal script then that's a bit of a red herring. DDS2 tapes are a bit easier to read than DDS3

I can only reemphasis Rothery's suggestion of cleaning your drive 5 times in a row, in case it's got alot of deris.

cheers

John

Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
CA821996

I have cleaned the drive five times in a row and nothing has changed - I put in DDS3 and as makes the cleaning/chattering noises and XP backup reports an error on writing to the media. I'm afraid it looks like it's died ...
CA756694
Honored Contributor

Are you in warranty ?

Pull your local call centre number off of this page and give them a ring:

http://www.hp.com/support/callcenters

cheers

john
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
CA821996

Turned out the unit *was* faulty. It was still under warranty and I had it replaced. Everything is now fine, using the same tapes as were being rejected by the faulty unit.