1752518 Members
5182 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DDS3 firmware problem

Joe_138
Occasional Contributor

DDS3 firmware problem

With my dds3 drive, i also own a compaq ait100 drive. i had issues with the ait recently and i updated the firmware on the ait. upon doing so, it put some funky compaq firmware onto the HP dds3 drive also. I tried reloading the original firmware but the sw says that because it is not seen as an hp device, it will not put the firmware on it.
Know how to get the sw to ignore that and repair my drive, or do i own a new paperweight?
TIA
6 REPLIES 6
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Can you tell us which diag tools you used for the firmware update?
The journey IS the reward.
Joe_138
Occasional Contributor

Im using the hp storageworks and library and tape tools.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Just for clarification, HP L&TT will not update firmware on a device, unless you specifically select that device (from the device list window), choose the firmware update tool, select the desired revision, and then start the update.

The only firmware update LTT will allow, by default, is an updated version for the particular product (based on inquiry string and a hardware config code).

> I tried reloading the original firmware but the sw says that because it is not seen as an hp device.

The device status shouldn't have changed from a supported device to a non-supported device if you did a standard firmware update.

What was the product shown as before, and what is it shown as now?

We can provide you with a password to downgrade the firmware back to where you were before (by default you can only upgrade firmware).
Joe_138
Occasional Contributor

I dont remember exactly what the compaq model number was but it was seen as a dds3(sdt-9000) and now it is seen as sdt-5000.

Also, i gave 1 wrong piece of info. I used the compaq sw booted to dos to update the firmware and not hp L&TT. If i can get my hands on the compaq firmware for the dds drive maybe run the update to return it to its original state, but upon looking at the hp site, i can't find the compaq firmware drivers.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

OK, as I understand it, you used "tape options ROMpaq" for your firmare update.

You have a dds3 drive ("COMPAQ SDT-9000"), and when you updated firmware it now reports as "COMPAQ SDT-5000" (which is a dds-2)?

What version of ROMpaq were you using, and what firmare version were you on originally, and what were you updating to?
Joe_138
Occasional Contributor

Cancel this case. I found a solution.
The following website has the firmware for a dds3 that will forcefully overwrite the dds firmware to whatever device u select.
All u need to do is boot to dos, run this, then it will update properly from the HP sw.

1 down 1(tape drive problem) to go.

http://winkin.phpwebhosting.com/~firmflash/dat/

[Moderator edit: The above link is no longer valid.]