1748061 Members
5785 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DDS3 tape problem

Tony Edwards_3

DDS3 tape problem

I made a DDS3 tape on an HP12/24 DAT drive on a remote site, verified it and did a trial restore. I've been caught before :-(

Took it to another site and loaded it into another HP12/24 DAT drive to read it. The drive appeared to load it but then ejected it.
I tried other DDS2 and 3 tapes in this drive, new and used, they worked ok. Rebooted the machine and tried again. The tape is still ejected without being read. Tried with write protect on and off, no difference.

Any ideas please, apart from buying DLT drives that is :-)
2 REPLIES 2
Petr Simik_1
Valued Contributor

Re: DDS3 tape problem

It looks to me that problem is concernig only this one tape. Try to open the tape an check wheteher tape inside is not stocked. Maybe by pen you can screw the tape and check if it is able to roll. I think it is not danger if you do that softly.
Tony Edwards_3

Re: DDS3 tape problem

Thanks for the advice
I manually rewound the tape by a few inches and put it back in the drive, it did not eject it this time, but as soon as I tried to catalogue it, it ejected it.
I tried again but rewound it a bit more, same result, just took a few seconds longer to eject it.
Presumably the drive performs a rewind on the tape when you catalogue it and something is going wrong when the rewind finishes ????
I am using genuine HP tapes so its not a tape quality issue.
Any other ideas please