108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DDS4 tape not recognized

SOLVED
Go to solution
AJ Reed

DDS4 tape not recognized

New at sysadm for windows...

Running Compaq Proliant ML 350 (G2) with Compaq DDS4 20/40 tape drive under Windows 2000 Server. Under "system" icon can view the tape drive and manager says it is working properly. However, under "my computer" no tape drive is listed and cannot access it.

Have checked the cables and even installed the updated driver for the tape drive. But still can't get to tape drive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: DDS4 tape not recognized

Hi AJ,
I don't think you can see tape in myComputer. However you can easily get answer in this forum
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=185

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

AJ,

The only place where the tape drive must be listed is in the Windows Device Manager (my computer - manage - device manager).

If you use then a backup software, it will detect the tape drive too as a backup device.

You can also use LTT from HP (http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html , free software) to double check that your tape drive is ok.

best regards,
Kurt
Nemer_1
Regular Advisor

Hi,

are you using the microsoft backup utility or other third party software???
AJ Reed

Using microsoft backup utility to do backup...I am coming from a UNIX background and would like to verify the contents of the tape.

Have used LTT from HP and the tape drive passed all tests we performed. Although we did not perform any of the destructive (overwrite) tests.

Tape drive does show up under the "device manager" area. So I assume the OS knows it exists.

Will try to post the question in the Windows 2000 forum tomorrow.
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The equivalent of a 'tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0mn' does not exists yet in Windows ;-)

If you use the NT backup utility, you should be able to see the contents of the tape in there. Other backup solutions will store this information in their internal database.

You can also restore some files to test the backup. But if the backup tells you it is successfull, you can trust it. And just run a restore if you are not yet convinced.

best regards,
Kurt
generic_1
Respected Contributor

Put in a linux boot cd and give it a test drive :). Then you will know you have a driver or software issue.
Check that your tape drive is supported by your backup software itself, and patched up to date.
AJ Reed

User responses helped my learning curve from Unix to Windows 200 Server.