1748180 Members
4115 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL160 G6 with SBS install Dat 160 USB as CDROM

ronatsilonex
Occasional Advisor

DL160 G6 with SBS install Dat 160 USB as CDROM

I have a new DL160 G6 with a new DAT160 USB tape.
I am running (or trying to) MS SBS 2008 on the server.
When I try to install the drivers from the CD that comes with the tape drive, it says that the installation went ok but when I plug in the drive it comes up with a DAT160 USB CDROM in drive manager.
If I look at the driver it is the Microsoft CDROM driver.
This does not make any backup software (Backup Exec in particular) very happy - no devices.

If I try to manually install the drivers from the CD, Windows says that they are not compatible with the drive.

How do I get the tape installed as a tape.

Ron
10 REPLIES 10
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

If you are running BackupExec it usually supplies the drivers for the devices.

Regards
ronatsilonex
Occasional Advisor

Symantec's Backup Exec does not see the drive as something that it has drivers for since Windows has already established that it is a CDROM

If I try to manually install the HP drivers, Windows claims that the inf files do not match the operating system.

I wonder if this is a problem with HP not supporting Windows 2008 SBS completely so that the operating system in the inf file is not close enough for the driver to get installed.

Any ideas about where to go next?
I have had thet server and tape for more than 1 month and have not been able to get it into production.

I suppose the next step is to return the server and the tape unit and try another manufacturer. This is replacing a Dell server so it is a bit embarrassing that I can not get it up and running.

Ron
TTr
Honored Contributor

Check if the tape drive is in OBDR mode. You need to change it back. If it is in OBDR mode, the tape drive looks like a CDROM to the server. Check out question #8 how to switch it back. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/drs/qa.html
ronatsilonex
Occasional Advisor

The reference looks promising by treating the process as a toggle did not seem to help.
I tried it with tapes in the drive and tape ejected. I tried it with the USB cable connected and not connected.
I rebooted the server once just to give windows a fresh chance. It takes about 15 minutes to recycle that server for some reason.

Is there anything in the server BIOS that I need to touch.

I suspect that the tape got into this state while I was trying to get the HP backup software that came with the drive, working.

I could not get that to work so I thought that I would try the Symantec Backup Exec since we have used that on the Dell for 8 years with a minimal number of issues.

Is there another process for turning the DAT back into a tape drive.
It came in a rackmount but I suspect that that does not affect the processes.
TTr
Honored Contributor

I would say don't insert a tape. And unplug the USB cable from the drive/server
Hold down (that is hold down don't just press and release) the eject button and power cycle the drive.
Wait (keep holding down the eject button) until the tape drive powers on and the LED flashes and release the eject button.
ronatsilonex
Occasional Advisor

I followed your instructions and it did not change the state.
I unplugged the USB. Powered off the rackmount chassis by removing power. Plagged it back in (can't reach the eject button while powering on the chassis).
The chassis power is then in "standby mode" Chassis power light is lite but the Power supply fans are not running.

I then held down the Eject button and pressed the Power button on the front of the chassis.
I held the Eject button while the POST ran (orange lights cycled on and off) and held it until the power led started its normal cycle of one short blink followed by a long blink.
Once this had repeated a few times I released the Eject button. I then plugged the USB back in and Windows immediately added the DAT USB 160 Cdrom to the list of CDROMs and DVDs.

No joy!
TTr
Honored Contributor

That's too bad. It looked like the obdr was the problem.
Look around in the user manual to see if the tape drive has any switch settings or other means to change the state.
Did the drive have an OBDR sticker or logo on it?
Maybe it is not a obdr drive at all.
Did you look in the server BIOS to see if there is a setting that forces the drive to be in that mode all the time?
Can you try connecting the drive to another server or even a PC?
ronatsilonex
Occasional Advisor

The tape is a new HP DAT 160 USB that came with the HP backup software and the documentation, driver and backup software CD that talks about OBDR so I think that your initial analysis is on the right track.
It did start out as a Tape Device according to Windows Device Manager. I suspect that using the HP backup tool was the cause of its change to a CD since I was trying to get the OBDR to work before I abandoned that track since it did not seem to be working and looked way too complicated for the person who is in charge of the backups.
TTr
Honored Contributor

So why it does not switch back to tape drive mode? Maybe the "eject button" method no longer works and you need to switch it by using the software. Are you able to try using the software?