StoreEver Tape Storage
1752790 Members
6772 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380, OBDR and RAID 5

David W Hall

DL380, OBDR and RAID 5

Ok I have a Proliant DL380 G4 with a SDLT 600 tape drive, ARCServe r11.5 backup and Windows 2003. The drives are configured with a pair of 36G drives in a RAID 1+0 for the operating system and four 146G drives in a RAID 5 configuration as my data storage area.
When testing my OBDR I find that the system area is restored a treat but the RAID 5 data area fails to restore. The sessions are on tape and if I run the restore after the rebuild no problem.
My question is should OBDR bring back all of sessions. Do I have to configure "something" to get the RAID 5 data back. Any thoughts appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Do you get recover partitions? see page 22

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/tape/OBDR/user_guide.pdf

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
David W Hall

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at the document that you attached and in the main it dont look nothing like what we get. After we have put the tape into OBDR mode we have the normal reboot get to a text screen that requires us to enter an upper or lower case 'Y' then we get the MS blue screen and press F2 at the Windows ASR option. We then have no user intervention till ArcServe prompts us for Express or Advanced mode. All of the drives on our main 1+0 raid are restored. The Partitions on our RAID 5 are flagged as failed. Hope this will help to clarify.
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Why dont you tenst this with DPE?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1144275&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1144272&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4022

Just make sure that media is erased first and you do overwite all media.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Is the issue perhaps that you need to re-initialize the RAID 5 disks in the SmartArray controller to clear a failure condition?
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
David W Hall

A valid point except for the fact that once the OBDR has recovered my system I can use ArcServe to recover the RAID 5 drives with no problem. I think that my problem is in understanding OBDR. Does it JUST recover the windows system area or should it recover ALL of the sessions on the tape.