StoreEver Tape Storage
1753594 Members
6199 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT 80 Drive Fails After Being Used Successfully for Approx. 1 Month

greg cobb

I have had exact same issue with Surestore DLT80 drive.
Have replaced once, purchased new cleaning (HP) brand tape, used some new tapes to test, and checked SCSI settings, none has worked as of yet. My last ditch effort is to set on own SCSI chain, with new SCSI cable...
I would appreciate any feedback anyone comes across on solving this issue.
GC
Nicolas Florange
Occasional Advisor

We experienced also the same problems with a BENCHMARK DLT1 VS80 on an HP NetServer LC3. After one year, backup jobs failed with ID 9 and 11 in the Windows 2000 Event logs. Therefore, we replaced the tape engine and after two months, it stopped to work. We changed SCSI cable and it ran during several months. But now, we've replaced the Adaptec 29160LP SCSI adapter and we still have troubles during backups' jobs. We replaced everything (except the engineer). What can we do now?
Nicolas Florange
Occasional Advisor

We experienced also the same problems with a BENCHMARK DLT1 VS80 on an HP NetServer LC3. After one year, backup jobs failed with ID 9 and 11 in the Windows 2000 Event logs. Therefore, we replaced the tape engine and after two months, it stopped to work. We changed SCSI cable and it ran during several months. But now, we've replaced the Adaptec 29160LP SCSI adapter and we still have troubles during backups' jobs. We replaced everything (except the engineer). What can we do now?
Nicolas Florange
Occasional Advisor

Nicolas Florange
Occasional Advisor

Nicolas Florange
Occasional Advisor

Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Hi Nicloas,

Maybe, you should try replacing the engineer, as we have five messages from you all the same :-) only joking :-)

I find it interesting that all of those who have posted issues seem to be having most problems with the Friday tape. Are you all using the same backup strategy? and if so which one?

My guess is the Friday tape sees more use than some of the others if it is one of the backup strategy I am familar with and will see more wear.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar

Jon Swift
Occasional Advisor

We have a fair number of these drives and we're getting the same problems. 6-9 months after putting many in they're failing with exactly these problems. We're waiting for a call back from HP Technical Support - but these days it's possible that may never come.

I've raised the issue to the Account Manager because we now want them swapped out for one that don't fail, or an alternative product.

To an organisation like ours, with many of these being in remote offices, eg. Guernsey, they aren't easy to keep swapping out !
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Just a guess... could it be an environmental problem? High temperature or excessive dust? Please check if your drive is not overheating. The best is to get LTT support ticket http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html and look into it - as I remember DLT80 drives log temperature
Eugeny
Jon Swift
Occasional Advisor

All drives are in purpose-built Computer/Comms rooms with air conditioning and minimal dust, so it's unlikely it's environmental. Other ideas ?