Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLT 8000 Tape Drive Installtion

Jeyakanthan
Occasional Contributor

DLT 8000 Tape Drive Installtion

I am trying to install DLT 8000 Tape Drive onto a HP9000 K Class/K360 (HP-UX 10.20) server. I managed to install using a differential SCSI card. ioscan identifies the drive. But when I tried to take backup using fbackup it returns an error. Using SAM following error message appears "The error handler has gotten the error code 1 of type NOTE ....."

Can anyone advice on this. Further I wish to know whether I can install above drive on a K Class server?

Thanks
3 REPLIES
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT 8000 Tape Drive Installtion

Hi,

I suggest that you try something simple from the command line to see what happens. From what you say it seems that the drive is installed correctly.

Insert a tape into the drive
# mt -t /dev/rmt/Xm rew (Replace X with your device from your 'ioscan' output.
# mt -t /dev/rmt/Xm fsf 1

If these just come back to the command line try and write something to the tape like a tar backup.
# mt -t /dev/rmt/Xm rew
# tar cvf /dev/rmt/Xm /opt

Let us know the results. If it fails include your 'ioscan' output

Regards
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Uh, you do realize that a HPPB FW SCSI card does not have enough bandwidth to support the card? It has to be an HSC FW SCSI card.

Hello; even on an HP-HSC you won't get the DLT8000 to stream continuously.
We tested years ago extensively and optimized the fbackup params: K210/HP-HSC/Nike/DLT7000 configuration. Even using large files it wil stop/start every 4 seconds. But it does 15Gb/hour (oracle database) which is ok for us.
Have a look at HP's white paper
http://www.products.storage.hp.com/storage/pdf/Ultrium_SDLT_Lib_Perf.pdf