New Discussion юеВ

DLT 8000

SOLVED
Go to solution
greenda
Occasional Advisor

DLT 8000

Hi

Im having problems with the installation of a DLT 8000 drive on my windows 2003 server.
Windows will not recognize the devise. It is as if it is not connected at all. Which SCSI interface should I use? I am using a PCI card connected to the motherboard instead of connecting the tape directly to the motherboard.

Regards

Greenda
13 REPLIES 13
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT 8000

Find out if your DLT8000 External drive is a Differential one for which it must have a Differential SCI adapter on your Windows end. It is likely your Windows PCI SCSI card and/or on-baord SCSI are just Fast wide single ended.
Hakuna Matata.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi there.
Better get some info on that drive.
If it is a F/W/D scsi drive, you might need an ADAPTEC 2944 controler.

For a UW you need at least a 2940 UW controler ( ADAPTEC ).

At least the controler should have a bandwidth of 40 MB /sec.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
greenda
Occasional Advisor

Thanks , For the info ,

The product number of my drive is C6379A so it must be FWD. But this SCSI type supports transfer rate of 20MB/s. Do you think the ADAPTEC 2944 will suit my needs or should i choose an adapter with higher data transfer?
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The C6379A drive is FWD, so the adaptec 2944 is your only option. 20MB/s is much more than sufficient, since a DLT8000 only has a transfer rate of 6MB/s.

-Josh
What are the chances...
greenda
Occasional Advisor

thanks,

have ordered the correct adaptec

Regards

Greenda
greenda
Occasional Advisor

Another question ,

If I remove the cover that is on the back of the tape drive i can see there is a HD68 Female conector. Can I use this conector to conect to a 2940 ADAPTEC contoler using a specific cable..

Thanks
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Another question ,

If I remove the cover that is on the back of the tape drive i can see there is a HD68 Female conector. Can I use this conector to conect to a 2940 ADAPTEC contoler using a specific cable..

Thanks

Greenda,
If I remember correctly, the 2940 is Ultra-Wide-Single-Ended(UWSE), which will not work with High-Voltage-Differential(HVD) SCSI.

So, you could connect the 2944 (HVD) card to this, but not the 2940 (SE).

-Josh
What are the chances...
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

I recommend the ADAPTEC 29160LP
HP Part Number C7474-60001
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Bob,
that adapter is Ultra160 LVD which is completely incompatable with the HVD drive described. The only adaptec usable is the 2944.

Josh
What are the chances...