StoreEver Tape Storage
1753641 Members
5005 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT VS 80 Tape Drive Leader

Humphrey Ndegwa

DLT VS 80 Tape Drive Leader

This may sound realy dumb, but can anyone tell me where I can buy a drive leader for the internal HP surestore dlt VS 80? I am told that there is a service pack available(which contains leaders and gloves), but my local dealer insists that I must buy a new drive. I do not mind paying the freight charges as I'm not about to spend $2,000/- for the replacement!!!!
4 REPLIES 4
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT VS 80 Tape Drive Leader

Have you tried calling HP Service and set up a service call? They should be able to fix that for a very reasonable fee (compared to the price of a new drive!) If it's under warranty, the service is free.

Otherwise, I'm not sure if HP offers a mail-in repair on that drive... but I know Quantum does, and they also sell parts. (Quantum is the manufacturer)

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Dan_139
Advisor

HP does not repair these drives at all! Nor do they send these parts. If it's under warranty they will simply replace the drive free of charge (no repairs). But if it's not in warranty, you may try Quantum.
knowlegde is key to what?
Jeff_194

You're right, there are no service centres that HP has at all for tape drives, you can purchase a refurb, however from HP. Basically, they'll ask you to return your defective drive to gain credit towards a refurb...in all honesty, that may be your best bet or pay another couple thousand for a brand new drive.

You CANNOT purchase leaders for your drive...not that I've ever heard of.
Justin Ricketts

YES, actually you can buy leaders. My company had been getting drives repaired for $550 a pop, but i finally found this site. Hope this helps you guys too. http://www.ultimatestorage.co.uk/dlttapeleaders.html