108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT VS80 Rejects ALL Catridges

SOLVED
Go to solution
Douglas McClelland
Occasional Contributor

DLT VS80 Rejects ALL Catridges

I have an internal VS80 DLT tape drive on my PC server running Windows NT4.0 Server. Any catridges, new, previously used or cleaning tapes are rejected. When I load the tape the drive opens the catridge, waits for about 2 seconds, the 'READY' light flashes twice and the catridge is ejected.

The drive was working fine until a few days ago.

Remedial action taken:
- Server has been shutdown, powered off and restarted - no change
- Drive has been reset by pressing the eject button for 6 or 7 seconds - no change
- I have loaded the latest HP L&TT tape software tools and upgraded the firmware to version V064 - no change
- I have performed all tests that do not require the reading or writing of a tape and the drive has passed all tests.

Test results file is attached. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Arend Lensen
Trusted Contributor

Re: DLT VS80 Rejects ALL Catridges

Douglas,

Can you please create a support ticket and post it here. The log now posted is a LTT event/resultlog and not usefull at this stage where no media can be written.

Kind regards,
Arend
Douglas McClelland
Occasional Contributor

Here is the requested support ticket.

Doug.
Arend Lensen
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Doug,

The drive is reported read errors and cleaning requests. The nvram can only contain a maximum of 15 events but i can see that it had over 150 events, i can only see that last 15 and assume that the others were similair.
If it does not accept a cleaning tape then there's not much you can do, sorry.
The drive has been powered-on for 28420 hours now, thats is 3 years and 4 months.
I think you need a new drive.

best regards,
Arend
Douglas McClelland
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Arend, that is the conclusion I came to. Only 4 months out of warranty too!

Doug.