1753702 Members
4966 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT firmware

Alan Kirkland

DLT firmware

I have a DLT 7000 for home use but it has oml 3 personality instead of oem1. I beleive there is a`bridge firmware` so I can rectify this. Does anyone know how I can obtain this. Many Thanks.
Alan.
7 REPLIES 7
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DLT firmware

Hi there.
Get the firmware from the vendor.
Get the info, how to put it on an empty tape.
Kick the tape in the drive then and it should upgrade the firmware.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Dear Alan,

You cannot change firmware to version outside the family that is loaded. This is not HP SureStore firmare. It can only be changed by the manufacturer. Sorry we cannot help.
The changes you require would be performed via the serial i/f with special code. It must be from some OEM vendor. You also have library firmware I think which also means that the drive mechanism has some mechanical differences. (There are some different spring settings).

Rothery
BR664511
Advisor

Could you provide me with more details regarding the serial interface and the 'special code' you refer to connections, baud rate language etc. as I need to change a Compaq (12-1) to an OEM1 (4-1)

Thanks in anticipation

Barry Philcox.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

As Rothery mentions, drives may have different (although sometimes subtle) mechanical or electrical differences. For that reason, the drives do not allow you you change from one personality to another. This is independent of using a SCSI firmware download or a firmware update tape - the drive will reject the image if the personality does not match.

The OML3 personality mentioned is specific to HP libraries, so it is intended to be used in a library, not standalone. The OML3 drive also does not even have a front panel.
The journey IS the reward.
Alan Kirkland

Thanks for the replies. After a very close inspection of the drive, all of the springs are identical to a standard dlt 7000. As are the door handle, fascia, door flap etc. The sticker on the drive says `standalone`. How it ended up with loader firmware is a mystery. Is it possible to obtain the bridging firmware required to change the personality?
Thanks
Alan
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Alan Kirkland

Many thanks but I have already tried the tape tools software. It will only allow firmware upgrades and not personality changes.