StoreEver Tape Storage
1747996 Members
4624 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT vs80 on D350 server - or what will work ?

RAND IT Solutions
Contributor

DLT vs80 on D350 server - or what will work ?

I've tried connecting a new DLT vs80 tape drive to our D350. I loaded the full Dec 2001 HWCR patch set for 10.20, series 800. The drive seems to do a test backup ok using fbackup or tar but can't seem to get it to restore. ioscan shows it as a BNCHMARKDLT1 and SAM shows it as a Surestore DLT1. I am using one of the built in SE SCSI connectors with no other device on the cable.

My biggest questions.
1. will this drive work on an old server like the D350 and
2. if not, what are people using that can be bought (new) in a single external tape drive. I was thinking maybe getting 2 DDS4's.

Thanks
Bill
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT vs80 on D350 server - or what will work ?

Bill,
I guess DLT1 drive has LVD interface. Thus connecting it to SE bus you're reducing its speed (5mb/s) and causing heads excessive wearing by not supplying drive with required data streaming speed.
DDS4s are also LVD.
I would not connect LVD devices to SE bus at all. Of course, DDS4 will feel better than DLT1, but feel better does not mean feel good.
I would use HVD drives with D-class like DLT4000/7000, DLT8000 HVD version, and even LTO HVD version. DDS3 is SE and it's ok (of course) to connect it to SE bus, but if you need 2xDDS4 drives then I guess you'll need 4xDDS3 drives :o(
Eugeny
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Yes, it seems to be supported.
http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/software/index.html
Do you get any error messages when trying to restore ?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

vs80 is LVD only, so you cannot connect it to a D350, aving HVD interfaces only.

If you use DDS4, the speed of DDS4 is exactly the same as the vs80 (3Mb/s native speed), but the difference is that DDS4 holds 40Gb of data compressed, and vs80 holds 80Gb of data compressed.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

You could also try with the recommended Adaptec 29160LP controller, HP partno C7474A.

HTH,
Arimo