StoreEver Tape Storage
1748251 Members
3754 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT1 problem with the position of the leader in the drive

david lee_18

DLT1 problem with the position of the leader in the drive

I need a diagram that shows how the leader (the part that catches the end of the tape)attached to the spool inside the drive should be set up for it to accept a tape. When a tape is put in, the spool obviously rotates and i can hear the leader whirring round flapping against the side. I just need a diagram that shows how the leader should be in the start position, so that i can take the clear lid off the drive and reset it .

Is there any technical maintenance/construction documentation that shows this.

Thanks

David
4 REPLIES 4
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT1 problem with the position of the leader in the drive

David, this document will help you. Keep in mind that most "dropped" leaders are caused by defective tapes so if you are successful re threading the leader, you also need to examine each of your tapes to see if one of them was the culprit.http://search.hp.com/query.html?hpvc=US+-+EnglishтМй=en&submit.x=9&submit.y=4&qt=lpg50338&la=en&cc=us
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
david lee_18

Thanks, Ill have a look at the docs... as far as the tape is concerned, i have the culprit..all 300m of it .... no longer in the cassette!
CA1204699

This is a good doc except that you should NEVER use latex gloves when you restring the leader.
Latex gloves have a fine powder on them to prevent them from sticking together and that powder will contaminate the drive head and will transfer to your media.
Quantum recomends using the nylon gloves.
meloni
Honored Contributor

David, if all the tape is on the drive, the cause is not of the cartridge, I would suggest you to check for dust inside the DLT.
There is some hoole in the tape that will report the EOT (end of tape), these are detected by optical sensor put on the tape path. If there is dust on one of these sensor, the EOT will not be detected and the tape will be despooled.
I attached a image of the sensor position
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)